American International Student in Scotland

Watch
essierei
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hello, nice to meet you all! i'm an american who is planning on going to uni in scotland for my undergrad in marine biology. i have gotten unconditional offers to stirling and aberdeen, so the likelihood is quite high!
i would really like some advice before i move there. what are some things i should know before arriving and whilst attending? can i keep dying my hair purple? are there any social norms i should practice to leave good impressions? what are some dos and donts? i appreciate any advice you all have to offer!
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by essierei)
hello, nice to meet you all! i'm an american who is planning on going to uni in scotland for my undergrad in marine biology. i have gotten unconditional offers to stirling and aberdeen, so the likelihood is quite high!
i would really like some advice before i move there. what are some things i should know before arriving and whilst attending? can i keep dying my hair purple? are there any social norms i should practice to leave good impressions? what are some dos and donts? i appreciate any advice you all have to offer!
Congrats, you will love studying in Scotland. Stirling is a small uni and quite quiet about an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Aberdeen is called Grey City because the houses are made of local rock. Its quite far up north from Edinburgh so it's colder and bleaker but Aberdeen is a top uni (better in the ranking than Stirling). Edinburgh and Scotland have lots of international students - lots of Americans come over to study Vet Science.

You can keep dying your hair purple whichever uni you choose. Scottish people are generally very friendly and welcoming to strangers but the local accent in Glasgow and Aberdeen can be hard to follow. I guess you will be spending the bulk of your time with fellow students so that will not be an issue.
essierei
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Congrats, you will love studying in Scotland. Stirling is a small uni and quite quiet about an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Aberdeen is called Grey City because the houses are made of local rock. Its quite far up north from Edinburgh so it's colder and bleaker but Aberdeen is a top uni (better in the ranking than Stirling). Edinburgh and Scotland have lots of international students - lots of Americans come over to study Vet Science.

You can keep dying your hair purple whichever uni you choose. Scottish people are generally very friendly and welcoming to strangers but the local accent in Glasgow and Aberdeen can be hard to follow. I guess you will be spending the bulk of your time with fellow students so that will not be an issue.
thank you, i'm very excited to start! stirling has such a pretty campus + the affordability is a big draw for me. aberdeen is also so beautiful, and i'm so excited to visit when i'm there! aberdeen may be ranked higher in general, but it's a little more expensive. since i'm funding uni partially on my own, stirling's lower tuition and affordable housing is certainly more appealing.

i'm glad that people are welcoming! i'm a little worried about being able to follow the accents, but i've been trying to immerse myself as much as i can before i get there.

thank you for your advice and your information on the unis !!! i really appreciate it x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (79)
11.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (160)
24.28%
Live streaming events (52)
7.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
8.95%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (156)
23.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise