Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I told them I have been struggling, feeling down a lot and having anxiety but the outcome was they just said its normal for my age and its nothing to worry about. I have been struggling since and I think my only option coping myself which I am struggling with. I just want to cry and I get depressed but its just for no reason and it just happens so often. I don't what it is that is upsetting me, I was thinking maybe I'm down because of turning 20 in the summer because im a bit scared about it tbh.
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go back to your GP. Maybe ask to see a different doctor. Write down what you want to say beforehand, it's possible you didn't explain the situation clearly, I know I have had that issue before. Or contact your local depression and anxiety service, you might be able to self refer. There are also lots of good resources online for self-help.
Why are you scared about turning 20?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ER141)
Go back to your GP. Maybe ask to see a different doctor. Write down what you want to say beforehand, it's possible you didn't explain the situation clearly, I know I have had that issue before. Or contact your local depression and anxiety service, you might be able to self refer. There are also lots of good resources online for self-help.
Why are you scared about turning 20?
I doubt the gp might help and I have no confidence to talk to anyone else now like none at all.

Its just because I will still be living at home
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Maybe tell them what your issue is clearly.. Are you suffering headaches? Insomnia? If you feel like killing yourself, tell the GP that. Tell them clearly
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Maybe tell them what your issue is clearly.. Are you suffering headaches? Insomnia? If you feel like killing yourself, tell the GP that. Tell them clearly
I told them everything trust me
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Plenty of people still live at home at that age, and older, especially if they are still studying and/or aren't earning enough to get their own place.

What are you currently doing, education or work?
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some doctors are truly terrible and lack empathy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
Some doctors are truly terrible and lack empathy
They just want that big pay cheque
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
Plenty of people still live at home at that age, and older, especially if they are still studying and/or aren't earning enough to get their own place.

What are you currently doing, education or work?
Education in college
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I doubt the gp might help and I have no confidence to talk to anyone else now like none at all.

If you're at uni, try talking to nightline, they have an anaonymous phone or chat service. Look on their website to see if your college or uni is covered / if it isn't then they also have links to a load of other help services you can contact. It may be easier for you to try something like that which isn't face-to-face.

What is it about being at home that scares you? If you have problems in your home life / it isn't safe for you, is there a friend or relative that you trust who you can turn to for help? If it's more just you feel too old and like you should be indepent by then, don't worry about that too much. So many people in their twenties are in that position and still living at home is quite common now, especially with the whole pandemic. I'm 23 and had to move back home this year, partly because of covid, and it isn't ideal but it is only temporary and I know it isn't forever so you definitely aren't alone there.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make an appointment with a different GP and make a formal complaint about the previous one.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Make an appointment with a different GP and make a formal complaint about the previous one.
No point, its not going to help me
Anonymous #1
(Original post by boods8897)
If you're at uni, try talking to nightline, they have an anaonymous phone or chat service. Look on their website to see if your college or uni is covered / if it isn't then they also have links to a load of other help services you can contact. It may be easier for you to try something like that which isn't face-to-face.

What is it about being at home that scares you? If you have problems in your home life / it isn't safe for you, is there a friend or relative that you trust who you can turn to for help? If it's more just you feel too old and like you should be indepent by then, don't worry about that too much. So many people in their twenties are in that position and still living at home is quite common now, especially with the whole pandemic. I'm 23 and had to move back home this year, partly because of covid, and it isn't ideal but it is only temporary and I know it isn't forever so you definitely aren't alone there.
I'm not at uni

Its just embarrassing because ill be 20 years old still sponging of my parents house
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They just want that big pay cheque
Exactly and that high status. All they care about
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Nothing wrong with living at home at 20. Lots of people do, particularly at the moment. Myself, my boyfriend, and most of my friends live with their parents at the moment and we are 24.

Honestly, talking to someone is the best thing to do, and someone who knows what they are doing, not people on here (myself included, I am just a member of the public with minimal experience in this area). Talk to your GP, or find resources online, it's the best thing to do.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No point, its not going to help me
You won't know until you try.
Anonymous #1
I failed my GCSEs in school and have no motivation to retake them like I did but exams are cancelled this year so that killed my motivation fully. I just dont want to work in a low end job because it will I wont be motivated, I just want to do something that I like but I just cant because I got U grades in every single one of my GCSEs. I wouldn't mind doing a low end job for a bit but I want to move up, I was thinking if I had to do a low paid job all my life I probably wouldn't want to me here because I would find it hard to find a purpose in myself just going to work everyday earning minimum pay. If my future ends up with me working minimum paid jobs all my life I still don't think I would see the point in being here like the rest of my life.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
Exactly and that high status. All they care about
Yep, I understand some have to concentrate on covid but mental health is still a big thing as well because its the biggest killer for young men in the uk
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not at uni

Its just embarrassing because ill be 20 years old still sponging of my parents house
20 really isn't that old and nowadays it's entirely reasonable to still be at home in your twenties. So many other people your age and older will still be at home so there's nothing to be embarrassed about - considering how hard it is to get jobs at the moment, it's unreasonable to expect everyone to have the funds to live alone.
Could you get some sort of part time job and come to an agreement with your parents about paying some rent / doing some of the food shopping? That way you wouldn't feel like your sponging if you are contributing something.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
You won't know until you try.
People said the exact same about seeing the gp about my issues and look where that got me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (146)
24.25%
Live streaming events (51)
8.47%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.14%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.42%
An in-person event when available (136)
22.59%