College far away from lecture sites

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I’ve just got an offer to study at Cambridge, which I’m super happy about, but I’m slightly worried about the distance of my college from my lectures: it’s a good 30-40 minute walk or so away, and I’ve just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, so I have some mobility issues. I was wondering if, therefore, at this stage (pre-matriculation) it would be possible for me to change college? I realise that they’re amazing and offer loads of provisions regardless of what college you’re at, but location seems to be the one thing they obviously can’t change. I just wouldn’t want my condition to in any way affect the quality of my work and degree, so I just thought I might ask if anyone’s had a similar experience, and had any advice on what I could do?
Thank you so much in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!
To anyone reading this, have a lovely day
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
In my personal experience of joint problems, a gentle walk for half an hour will do more good than harm and inactivity is the worst possible thing you can do for your joints.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
DSA might be able to help with travel costs.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would agree that the way forward is the DSA. A local taxi company should be able to take you to lectures.

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In my personal experience of joint problems, a gentle walk for half an hour will do more good than harm and inactivity is the worst possible thing you can do for your joints.
(Original post by Pathway)
DSA might be able to help with travel costs.
(Original post by Kerzen)
I would agree that the way forward is the DSA. A local taxi company should be able to take you to lectures.

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Thank you all so much, this is really helpful advice! I hadn’t actually thought of the DSA, I’ll definitely look into it.
Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%