Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stupid thread really.. as I know none of you are doctors! But I need some opinions.

For the past week I had a cold, and a sore throat. I got back from center-parcs on thursday night, on friday morning and most of today I've had diarrhea! (too much info perhaps).. and generally feel unwell, I've had a headache and my neck has been aching this afternoon. I initially thought first sign of mumps, this was emphasised by the fact a close friend has the mumps (he rang me whilst I was away). I also have a bit of a fever; go cold and then hot etc.

a) Mumps: http://www.medfamily.org/diagnosis/M...ms-Mumps.phtml

• Pre-illness syndrome of fever, neck muscle ache, malaise
    Moderate fever, usually not above 104° F (40.0° C)

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...ral/mumps.html

This also adds to it. But doesn't explain the diarrhea, my mother suggested Gastric flu.

A few more mump symptoms:
    Feeling tired,
    Loss of appetite,
    Mild abdominal (tummy) pain
    Headache.

I have the mild tummy pain but that seems to be because of diarrhea.

b) Gastric flu: http://patient.cancerconsultants.com....aspx?id=23140

As I've been analysing and over-thinking, I thought about meningitis.

c) Meningitis

http://www.vh.org/pediatric/patient/...eningitis.html
    http://yourmedicalsource.com/library..._symptoms.html

I know if I bring the latter up with my mother she'll just laugh it off. :rolleyes: I don't know what to think or do, although I do think I'm over analysing, it may be because of exams but god knows.

ReputationRep:
    if you think it is the latter then go get checked out, or call nhs direct and talk to them.
    The symptons seem to go to what I have been told about it from my Mum.
    It's better to be safe then sorry.
    I think the nhs direct number is 0845 4647.
    I hope it isn't anything serious and that you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    Stupid thread really.. as I know none of you are doctors! But I need some opinions.
    That's the best i can personally give really. TSR shouldn't really allow medical threads as none of us are Doctors and if we give some medical advice that is wrong and a person decides to use it and as a result suffers more TSR is liable to some extent. (This rule is used on other forums)

Anyway...if in doubt, check it out.

ReputationRep:
    There was a time patients went to a Dr and followed his/her advice......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    That's the best i can personally give really. TSR shouldn't really allow medical threads as none of us are Doctors and if we give some medical advice that is wrong and a person decides to use it and as a result suffers more TSR is liable to some extent. (This rule is used on other forums)

Anyway...if in doubt, check it out.
    it wouldn't make any difference if we were doctors. any doctor willing to give individual medical advice over the internet is dubious at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    There was a time patients went to a Dr and followed his/her advice......
    then people started thinking doctors were arrogant/too godlike, yet got frustrated when they couldn't always achieve all the patients aspirational medical demands or didn't believe in all their self diagnosise from dodgy sources, then they started suing medical health professionals, or just behaving violently towards them.. *sigh* :rolleyes:

& erk, as you describe, it sounds like more than transient cold/flu.. so visiting your GP would prob. be the best thing to do to put your mind at rest.. but then, sure you already knew that! & try not to scare yourself too much before then with websites..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    it wouldn't make any difference if we were doctors. any doctor willing to give individual medical advice over the internet is dubious at best.
    Any Dr who will give advice without even seeing his patient to give a propper consultation should be considdering his future career.

ReputationRep:
    i'm ill as well....am never attempting an all-nighter ever again, has put me out for the week

edit: i agree with intercity. nobody is in a position to give out specific medical advice in a forum thread (except elles of course, but she's special )

ReputationRep:
    could be mononucleousis! if it is you will want to get your blood tested. what you described sounds like what I had when I had mono, only no stomach pain. you might have two things, mono and a bit of food posioning or stomach flu.

mono is the only illness I have ever hurt where a symptom has been a hurting neck.

the illness is quite comman in young people (because we share drinks, go around kissing people, share lipgloss, cigs if you smoke, ect.) all which lead to contamination. are you very tired? do you feel like your nose is running, only down your throat instead of out? (as strange as that sounds)

get a blood test.

cause I had a fever, went hot and cold, had a sore neck, and all that when I had mono. it's a sucky illness and can often be long term, though not contagious when you do not have a fever. it can come back for the rest of your life! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    mono is the only illness I have ever hurt where a symptom has been a hurting neck.
    a sore neck is a very general symptom and can occur with lots of things. no use worrying the poor girl with derivatives of the epstein barr virus..

ReputationRep:
    a sore neck is a very general symptom and can occur with lots of things. no use worrying the poor girl with derivatives of the epstein barr virus..
    it's not THAT bad, but she should get tested for it. just to be sure, and to make sure that she doesn't keep sharing her lipgloss. I've had it, it's really not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    edit: i agree with intercity. nobody is in a position to give out specific medical advice in a forum thread (except elles of course, but she's special )
    my bf says i'm "special".. though he makes those little quotes with his fingers, hmm, actually.. :mad:

did i say anything specific? whoops, sorry. i towed the visit-GP line?! you guys think i'd be a crank if i set up a lucrative website giving psychiatric advice via the net? damn, there goes that pocket money spinner! :pcguru:

ooh & epstein barr, now, that is interesting from an academic POV.. i wrote an essay on it, though currently remember nothing other than it was very interesting. back to college tomorrow though = intensive revision shall commence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    if you think it is the latter then go get checked out, or call nhs direct and talk to them.
    The symptons seem to go to what I have been told about it from my Mum.
    It's better to be safe then sorry.
    I think the nhs direct number is 0845 4647.
    I hope it isn't anything serious and that you feel better soon
    They are useless. I read that 2 people died after getting advice from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    it's not THAT bad, but she should get tested for it. just to be sure, and to make sure that she doesn't keep sharing her lipgloss. I've had it, it's really not so bad.
    i'm just saying it's more likely to be a GI/flu virus, that's all although there's no harm in being aware of other possibilities, i admit i've never heard of mononucleosis before.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, they're not that bad. People also die from mis-diagnosis by a doctor, 2 people isn't a bad record.

The nurse's algorithms on the other end are extremely well thought out, and most scenarios result in them telling you to get physical medical advice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience they have been really good. Helped to sort out my Mum when she was ill and the Doctors wouldn't see her.
    The people may have died anyway and so I doubt it is of a direct reason that they died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    my bf says i'm "special".. though he makes those little quotes with his fingers, hmm, actually.. :mad:

did i say anything specific? whoops, sorry. i towed the visit-GP line?! you guys think i'd be a crank if i set up a lucrative website giving psychiatric advice via the net? damn, there goes that pocket money spinner! :pcguru:

ooh & epstein barr, now, that is interesting from an academic POV.. i wrote an essay on it, though currently remember nothing other than it was very interesting. back to college tomorrow though = intensive revision shall commence!
    Psychiatric advice? hmmm..interesting. can i subscribe as the first customer? :p:

epstein bar is quite interesting, although not quite as fun as contracting it.

ReputationRep:
    And I read the Apocalypse was going to happen at 00:00 on Jan 1st 2000.
    Just beacuse you read something doesn't make it so :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    And I read the Apocalypse was going to happen at 00:00 on Jan 1st 2000.
    Just beacuse you read something doesn't make it so :rolleyes:
    i would think 2 people dying from advice directly received by NHS Direct would be quite a modest estimate..

ReputationRep:
    i would think 2 people dying from advice directly received by NHS Direct would be quite a modest estimate..
    I didn't say the estimate was high or low :p:

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.