aversion to reading - anyway to get round this in a short time scale?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I get so much reading each week (and outside of that) to do for my uni assignments. I manage to make it through weekly essays by just skimming through things (often not even reading it properly). I want to emphasise this isn't just me being lazy but I physically find myself unable to stay focused when reading, I'm incredibly impatient and I feel like it will take too long. my eyes don't even follow the words properly so it is just frustrating overall.

however, I have exams in 2 weeks and one of my modules has a terrible lecturer, which means it was probably essential for me to have done the reading if I don't want my essays to fail (as they did in my mock exam).

there's no way I'm going to be able to do all the reading I should have done now, so does anyone know what I should do? maybe some sort of skimming and noting technique that won't be too time consuming? thanks
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get this too. Skimming through things combined with exam technique is a key skill for success, don’t knock it. Perhaps combine this with intensive reading sessions with regular breaks for things you view you absolutely do need to read. I tried some speed reading books to help but, by and large, found them too tedious to read.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I get so much reading each week (and outside of that) to do for my uni assignments. I manage to make it through weekly essays by just skimming through things (often not even reading it properly). I want to emphasise this isn't just me being lazy but I physically find myself unable to stay focused when reading, I'm incredibly impatient and I feel like it will take too long. my eyes don't even follow the words properly so it is just frustrating overall.

however, I have exams in 2 weeks and one of my modules has a terrible lecturer, which means it was probably essential for me to have done the reading if I don't want my essays to fail (as they did in my mock exam).

there's no way I'm going to be able to do all the reading I should have done now, so does anyone know what I should do? maybe some sort of skimming and noting technique that won't be too time consuming? thanks
Hiya!

I try to complete the reading but sometimes a large amount can be set! It's really tough to work your way through all of it if you are being set a huge amount.

I prioritise reading the recommended readings that
a. contribute to an assignment I am writing/ exams you have in two weeks
b. is on a topic i don't understand from the lecture material, or on something that I want to learn more about.
This way I finish readings that will aid my assignments and on topics where I am struggling. I also find prioritising catching up on all of the lecture content first.

I would also recommend emailing your lecturer for that unit and letting them know how you are feeling and that you want to make sure you are prioritising your reading so don't want to be reading something that definitely wont be in the exam! As hopefully they can let you know the core topics to be included in the exam.

Best of luck!
Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (546)
50.98%
No (525)
49.02%

Watched Threads