Is it wrong to be annoyed over eating disorders? [TW]

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Trigger warning

I know it's a serious mental illness and I totally understand how people feel. But I'm talking about a SPECIFIC situations, such as when someone tells me how much they've eaten like it's a good thing. My friend keeps telling me she stopped eating, and now she's saying that she finds it hard to eat (in a positive manner). Imagine if I had an eating disorder as well, that would make me feel ashamed of myself and I'd stop eating too. It really bugs me actually. I kind of got mad at her as a result of it.

Is it wrong to think like this?
isabelleH12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No i think how you feel is valid.
catbat8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i get where you're coming from, it's inconsiderate of people to say things like that without thinking about how it can trigger others, but i don't think your friend means any harm. if i were you, i'd try talking to her about how unhealthy the things she's saying are, she probably doesn't realize how problematic it is, or it could even be a call for help
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
She might not actually be aware of what she's doing, sometimes EDs skew things to the point where you don't recognise it's a problem.
jlggr4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Trigger warning

I know it's a serious mental illness and I totally understand how people feel. But I'm talking about a SPECIFIC situations, such as when someone tells me how much they've eaten like it's a good thing. My friend keeps telling me she stopped eating, and now she's saying that she finds it hard to eat (in a positive manner). Imagine if I had an eating disorder as well, that would make me feel ashamed of myself and I'd stop eating too. It really bugs me actually. I kind of got mad at her as a result of it.

Is it wrong to think like this?
tbh youre in the right. perhaps talk to her and just ask for her to not mention the amount of food shes eating x hopefully she'll understand
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
i have an eating disorder; i was in recovery for a few months, and in that time, i have realized how toxic my relationship with food was and how i projected that onto other people.
your feelings are very valid, and competition in eds is far too prevalent. i think bringing the issue up with her so that she fully understands the potential harm in what she's doing is important. be sure to check in on her though, sometimes it can be a bit of a cry for help. best of luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.86%
No (454)
48.14%

Watched Threads