Do abs simulators actually work?

Watch
Ivyreign
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to start gain some muscle and I’d like to get a six pack. I’ve been training intensely for around a week now and I’m starting to see slight results so I feel like if I continue I can reach my goal in 2 or 3 months.

I want to know are these ab simulator things you see advertised everywhere actually worth it? Or are these just a scam. Does anybody have experience with these and if so what brand?

I’m a female btw and just want some definition not intense abs as I don’t want to look masculine.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Combined with a caloric deficit, sure.
Horror King
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Although the evidence that ab stimulators work well for toning the muscles is weak, FDA-regulated stimulators are safe to try. Ab stimulators cannot burn fat. ... Even when ab stimulators do slightly strengthen muscles, therefore, a person will not notice a difference in their appearance if they are not also burning fat.
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
everyone in the fitness community only bad mouths about them.
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If they worked like the adverts claim, all the pro bodybuilders would be using them. But they don't, because they don't work as claimed. There's no easy route to a six pack. Anything that tells you stuff like "get a six pack in 2 weeks" is lying. You need a consistent calorie deficit to remove the fat and reveal the abs, and resistance training to build them more if you prefer them to be bigger.
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think they work like claimed, but I did some research into this myself a few weeks ago. EMS stimulators have been used by physios to help muscle recovery as they increase blood flow to the muscle. So the EMS alone won't give you six pack abs (although immediately after using it your abs might look more pumped), but personally I think they have a place in combination with good diet and exercise.

I don't use an ab one but do use a hip trainer for my glutes (same as the ab ones but the go on your bum) and I've found it works really well as a warm up to really 'feel' the muscle and start activating it before a workout and then helps recovery on rest days.

But on their own they won't do much, like others have said. You'd need exercise to build muscle and to reduce body fat to make the muscle visible. (Will also add here that if you try and lose fat whilst building muscle, make sure you don't have a huge calorie deficit or your muscles won't grow much)
Science girl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
I want to start gain some muscle and I’d like to get a six pack. I’ve been training intensely for around a week now and I’m starting to see slight results so I feel like if I continue I can reach my goal in 2 or 3 months.

I want to know are these ab simulator things you see advertised everywhere actually worth it? Or are these just a scam. Does anybody have experience with these and if so what brand?

I’m a female btw and just want some definition not intense abs as I don’t want to look masculine.
No ab simulator does not work, its a gimmick.

I would recommend to do cardio, especially running, crunches and sit ups will not work necessarily. Kettlebell swings are good for abs and leg/knee ups. Running is very good as it burns a lot of fat and to get abs you need low body fat.

Hopes it help,
Science girl 🧬
rachel_16
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)

In my opinion, they are a waste of money...

You will save money and see results by training abs 3x week combined with a healthy caloric deficit.

Save your money and do it yourself!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.71%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
23.17%
Live streaming events (38)
8.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.46%
A uni comparison tool (96)
22.7%
An in-person event when available (93)
21.99%