Rejected from my top choice, not sure what I can do from here.

Watch
modii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello, I just got rejected from my top choice. I was confused as I asked before I applied and they required an 80% from a foundation degree, I have a 91% overall on my foundation year so far.

I sent an email asking why I was rejected and they said it's because they "do not accept foundation degrees that are studdied as a part of an integrated degree".

It's heartbreaking to get rejected because of what feels like such a small technicality.

I'm kind of wondering what my options are? I've been accepted by other universities which are OK. Would it be possible to transfer between year ones to my top choice? Should I leave uni after I finish this foundation year and apply again? Or should I just
Bite the bullet and just go for my other choices?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
modii
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by modii)
I asked before I applied and they required an 80% from a foundation degree, I have a 91% overall on my foundation year so far.

I sent an email asking why I was rejected and they said it's because they "do not accept foundation degrees that are studdied as a part of an integrated degree".
It may be that they thought you were doing an 'International Foundation course' (ie. an A level substitute) rather than a Year 0 of a full degree. May Unis do not accept other Year 0 Foundation courses from other Universties as there is no national benchmark standard.

Did you get the '80%' info in an email, and if so, had you explained exactly what Foundation you were taking?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by modii)
Hello, I just got rejected from my top choice. I was confused as I asked before I applied and they required an 80% from a foundation degree, I have a 91% overall on my foundation year so far.

It's heartbreaking to get rejected because of what feels like such a small technicality.

I'm kind of wondering what my options are? I've been accepted by other universities which are OK. Would it be possible to transfer between year ones to my top choice? Should I leave uni after I finish this foundation year and apply again? Or should I just
Bite the bullet and just go for my other choices?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
modii
You aren’t doing a foundation degree.

An FdA/FdSc is a recognised qualification equivalent to the first 2 years of a 3 year degree (or HND or DipHE). It’s usually possible to “top up” a foundation degree to a BA/BSc with an additional year study.

A degree with a foundation year is something else entirely. Year 0 course content isn’t a recognised qualification and there is no standard content/compatibility.

Why did you start your degree with foundation year if you didn’t want to complete that degree?
modii
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You aren’t doing a foundation degree.

An FdA/FdSc is a recognised qualification equivalent to the first 2 years of a 3 year degree (or HND or DipHE). It’s usually possible to “top up” a foundation degree to a BA/BSc with an additional year study.

A degree with a foundation year is something else entirely. Year 0 course content isn’t a recognised qualification and there is no standard content/compatibility.

Why did you start your degree with foundation year if you didn’t want to complete that degree?
I see thank you for the detailed explanation! The reason is that I am a mature student who has pretty bad A-Levels, but over the years I have been learning programming and I got pretty good at it.

I applied to a bunch of foundation years and I got into a pretty decent one, but I heard that it is possible to transfer to a better uni if I do well. That is why I applied to other universities. It's not that I don't want to complete the degree, it's just that I would love to get into a better one as I want to have the best level of education possible.
modii
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
It may be that they thought you were doing an 'International Foundation course' (ie. an A level substitute) rather than a Year 0 of a full degree. May Unis do not accept other Year 0 Foundation courses from other Universties as there is no national benchmark standard.

Did you get the '80%' info in an email, and if so, had you explained exactly what Foundation you were taking?
Yes I got the 80% in an email, I'm pretty sure that you are correct and the confusion stems from me talking about a foundation year 0 and them thinking I was talking about something else.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by modii)
Yes I got the 80% in an email, I'm pretty sure that you are correct and the confusion stems from me talking about a foundation year 0 and them thinking I was talking about something else.
Its still worth you sending them a copy of that email and asking them why they will not now honour the agreement.

Please pursue this - if the email clearly agrees to what you have told them you are taking then they cannot just say 'oops we didn't really mean it'. Sometimes staff without much experience answer general emails and give out duff info - but the point is that the University still HAS to honour what was promised. You applied on the basis of that info.
Last edited by McGinger; 3 days ago
modii
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Its still worth you sending them a copy of that email and asking them why they will not now honour the agreement.

Please pursue this - if the email clearly agrees to what you have told them you are taking then they cannot just say 'oops we didn't really mean it'. Sometimes staff without much experience answer general emails and give out duff info - but the point is that the University still HAS to honour what was promised. You applied on the basis of that info.
Thank you! I will do this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (395)
32.35%
No (826)
67.65%

Watched Threads