The Student Room Group

Sociology or History A-level

I can’t decide weather to take history or sociology A-level. I’m doing history at GCSE and am expected a grade (7/8) but i’m not sure how I’d cope with A-level.
I’ve heard people say sociology is a ‘soft’ subject, should I take that into count? I’m considering a law degree so I don’t know which would be best. I’m also taking law and geography at A-level - Any advice?
Original post by 3h1e7e5
I can’t decide weather to take history or sociology A-level. I’m doing history at GCSE and am expected a grade (7/8) but i’m not sure how I’d cope with A-level.
I’ve heard people say sociology is a ‘soft’ subject, should I take that into count? I’m considering a law degree so I don’t know which would be best. I’m also taking law and geography at A-level - Any advice?

history for sure
History is a very respected A level, especially if you want to study law at university. You don't actually need law at A level to study law for a degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ooo, I'm also thinking of doing a law degree and had to choose my options just a few weeks ago - I chose english lit, geography and history. I think you would be fine at history, as long as you are interested in the subject, and your prediction is really good :smile: also history is very well looked upon by unis especially for law (I think!). I'm actually also thinking of doing something like sociology or psychology instead of geography, but not sure yet. :smile:
For a Law degree it doesn't matter which A levels you are doing - you just need to be confident of getting AAA and above - so pick a subject where you feel confident of getting that.

For History this might depend on the syllabus - ie. the periods of history covered - and how much this interests you. Sociology is not a 'soft' subject at all - it is a solid essay-based subject and regraded equally to History in terms of University admissions. You might find this useful for an understanding of contemporary society, and current issues. Talk to relevant teachers, and ask to have a look/read of relevant text books or revision notes etc.
Pick the easiest - Law is not picky with subjects!
Original post by 3h1e7e5

@3h1e7e5
Hello! I did A level History but I have a 1st class BA (Hons) Degree in Sociology. If you are doing well in GCSE History I think you are more than prepared to take it on at A Level. Sociology is less about the recollection of facts than history, you typically learn perspectives such as Functionalism, Marxism, and Feminism and then apply them to different topics like Religion, the Family, Social Class etc. If you get the building blocks of sociology you can really excel at A level and degree level- however there are limited job opportunities with a sociology degree. Law on the other hand has lots

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending