The Student Room Group

Aberdeen vs Dundee - English Lit/Creative Writing

Hi guys! I have applied to drama schools this year but I haven't had any joy with it. I think what I'm going to do is re-apply to UCAS in 2022 and do a Creative Writing & English degree. My main two options are Aberdeen and Dundee, both of which I have taken a little look at and identified some personal pros and cons.

Dundee
Pros:
- Nicer city (IMO)
- Closer to home (I'm in East Lothian so it'd be a 2 hour train, changing at Edinburgh)
- The modules look a bit more what I'd enjoy e.g. the English department has links with various theatres/arts venues in Dundee which could be interesting as theatre has been my main sort of hobby/interest
- Uni is in the city centre
Cons
- Smaller city
- Campus/architecture doesn't look as nice
- Uni ranks slightly lower for CW than Abdn.

As for Aberdeen:
Pros:
- Ranks highest in Scotland for Creative Writing
- Amazing architecture and campus
- Bigger city with a bit more to do in terms of stuff like shopping and nightlife
Cons:
- Further away from home
- City isn't as nice (IMO)
- Based on the website the modules seem a bit theoretical and less creative

Obviously both have their pros and cons but would anyone be able to advise for both unis? It's very difficult to decide when I'm currently unable to visit either of them due to the lockdown. Thanks!
I'm actually looking at both of these options for 2023. What uni did you end up choosing?
Hi Im looking at the same options too! did you come to any descion? what were your thoughts about the differences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending