Help on what university to place as firm and insurace

Watch
hannahgcse19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I've applied to do Law and/with politics at a range of universities being Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Queen Mary and Lancaster.
They've all given me an offer, however I'm unsure on what university I should put as firm and insurance between Royal Holloway and Cardiff.
The course with royal holloway is one with a year in industry, Cardiff alsooffers a placement year but its highly competitive to get into.
Royal holloway and Cardiff were both originally asking for AAB, however due to COVID, Royal Holloway said they'd still accept me if I missed a grade, and Cardiff said they'd lower the requirement to ABB if i put them as my firm.
I'm unsure as Cardiff is a russell group university and I understand that gives you a higher advantage of finding a job if you've gone to a russell group?
Royal holloway is still a good university, but does a year in industry which I feel will be more beneficial in giving me a good chance of finding a job.
Would it be more beneficial to go to a university that is a russell group, or one that offers a year in industry but is not a russell group?
aaron2578
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hannahgcse19)
So I've applied to do Law and/with politics at a range of universities being Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Queen Mary and Lancaster.
They've all given me an offer, however I'm unsure on what university I should put as firm and insurance between Royal Holloway and Cardiff.
The course with royal holloway is one with a year in industry, Cardiff alsooffers a placement year but its highly competitive to get into.
Royal holloway and Cardiff were both originally asking for AAB, however due to COVID, Royal Holloway said they'd still accept me if I missed a grade, and Cardiff said they'd lower the requirement to ABB if i put them as my firm.
I'm unsure as Cardiff is a russell group university and I understand that gives you a higher advantage of finding a job if you've gone to a russell group?
Royal holloway is still a good university, but does a year in industry which I feel will be more beneficial in giving me a good chance of finding a job.
Would it be more beneficial to go to a university that is a russell group, or one that offers a year in industry but is not a russell group?
Definitely year in industry.

Employers care only a little about which university you went to, and they should understand that the Russel Group is only a self-selected group of intensive research universities - basically going to a Russel Group university gives you very little to no advantage at all in terms of getting a job.

On the other hand, employers value work experience extremely highly so this is very good for getting a job, especially if you're competing with other graduates who didn't do a year in industry.
Plus, you can be prepared for what work will be like as you've done it before.

If job prospects is the deciding factor between Cardiff and Royal Holloway, I would strongly recommend you to choose Royal Holloway over Cardiff. But don't remember that there are also plenty of other important factors you should take into account!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hannahgcse19)
Generally whether somebody is in a RG university or not shouldnt matter.

Cardiff and Royal Holloway are miles apart as universities and you need to ask what will suit you better. Cardiff is pretty much in the city centre. It is a 5 minute walk from a busy city centre. Royal Holloway is about 40 minutes or more by train from Central London and is fairly near to Windsor. It is quite away from things like nightlife.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lots of helpful advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

Any 'placement' year is a big plus. The biggest problem for graduates getting their first job is 'no experience' - this gets you over this problem, AND it gives you 'context' for your degree studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (51)
23.83%
Unhappy (56)
26.17%
Conflicted (107)
50%

Watched Threads