2TchOrNot2Tch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi All,

I am a first-class graduate of a Biochemistry degree, and am currently working in a top 50 international corporation in this field (11 years this year). On a daily basis I use A-Level Maths and Physics, and degree/masters level Chemistry/Biochemistry in my role.

My concern is the getting into teaching documentation I have read is strongly centred on teaching only one's A-Level fields and degree, rather than professional learnings. I can appreciate most NQT applicants will be directly after their degree and why the documentation may be tilted in this manner - but is there scope for professional learnings too?

I achieved a good degree score but my A-Levels are rather average (Teen motivation vs adult motivation in effect there. I also don't have the A-Level certificates anymore, move after move seems to have taken its toll).

How rigid are these rules? I know the GCSE Maths material like the back of my hand, and would feel confident teaching it without any revision (because I use it daily already), but my A-Levels are only Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.

I am wondering if these teaching institutions take into account that Science degrees in general (apart from maybe straight Biology) use A-Level maths. Year 3 Chemistry we were doing some quantum mechanics of the Pi interactions of Benzene rings. That was definitely upper A-Level maths if not further into degree. At work we need to use high level Calculus etc,

I would prefer to teach Maths over other subjects. Over the 10 years in industry with Chemistry I have simply fallen out of love with it and prefer Maths.

Is it going to be tough teaching maths without an A-Level or degree in it, but valid proof I have used higher maths in the degree and in a professional capacity?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Schools are desperate for maths teachers. I'm not sure you'd be able to train as a maths teacher without any formal qualifications in maths, but you could train in sciences and find a job as a maths teacher post training.

I'd talk to training providers though, as there is more flexibility with maths than other subjects.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 minutes ago
Hi 2TchOrNot2Tch,
as suggested I would approach course providers and ask them directly if they would consider your application for Maths. Provide them with as many information as you can and see what they say. If you get positive responses, it is likely that they will suggest that you complete a subject knowledge enhancement course prior to starting the course to boost/ formalize your knowledge to prepare for teaching. I would also suggest that you might benefit from getting a Teaching Adviser from Get into Teaching who could help you with this. It is a free advisory service. All the advisers are experienced teachers. To register: https://getintoteaching.education.go...lp-and-support
Good luck!
Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (329)
31.91%
No (702)
68.09%

Watched Threads