The Student Room Group

chemistry question!!

why do you do 0.165-9.25x10^-3. I just don't understand why you do it also is there a formula I can remember for it to make it easier
this is the question
Reply 2
The first thing is just to consider a normal acid base reaction
Reply 3
how much of the butanoic acid will be left over once it reacts with the NaOH (hint: you already have this calculation)
Original post by Deckoles
how much of the butanoic acid will be left over once it reacts with the NaOH (hint: you already have this calculation)

is it 0.165-9.25x10^-3 but also how would I know I need to think bout how much of the butanoic acid will be left over I think im struggling to understand buffers overall
Reply 5
Original post by wevegota2319
is it 0.165-9.25x10^-3 but also how would I know I need to think bout how much of the butanoic acid will be left over I think im struggling to understand buffers overall

that calculation will give you the butanoic left over

from this reaction between the butanoic and naoh the butanoate anion is produced and that will act as a buffer in combination with the remaining butanoic acid
Reply 6
a buffer is just something that can resist pH change when an acid or base is added.

an acidic buffer will be some weak HA (acid) and some A- (butanoate here)

if acid is added the A- can react with it to form HA and so little pH change

if base is added the HA will react to produce A- so little pH change

since HA is a weak acid going from HA to A- and vice versa, there is little pH change

Quick Reply

Latest