Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Watch
Emmsiewoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Im doing A - Level Englsih Lit and stdying the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Im looking for biographical interpretations on the internet, but there arent really any WHOLE ones,

Ive gone through the poem myself picking out way I'd interpret it as biographical, but does any one have any ideas on this???
Thanks!
The Mute
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
Well, how about the idea that the Mariners feelings of loneliness echo that of Coleridge's own?
thatkidd
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I'm studying that poem this year, but we're not starting until after January.
The Mute
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
It will be your doom... *shudders*
thatkidd
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Oh wow, another person from Newcastle. -Waves-
I'll try to grin and bear it I guess
Tinkerbee
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I hate that poem.
The quotes still haunt me.
Spongebob*No*Pants
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I love the poem soo far, think it's great
AmeliaSofia
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Hi i don't know whether this will any use to you but I found this a couple of weeks ago and thought ti was really useful. (the attachment)
Emmsiewoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i LOVE thie poem think its brilliant how its all open to individual interpretation
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Coleridge was expelled from secondary school because of a prank involving a stuffed albatross.
mindy123
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaSofia)
Hi i don't know whether this will any use to you but I found this a couple of weeks ago and thought ti was really useful. (the attachment)
What version of word is it? I am on 2003 and it just opens as gibberish after trying to convert it...:confused:
AmeliaSofia
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
oh I'm sorry mine is 2007. When I'm on my laptop, I will upload it again. xx
collegedropout
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaSofia)
I found this very useful, could you tell me where you got it or, if there are any other analysis' like this for other poems in the Lyrical Ballads collection?

Thanks
doG1
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Jd
collegedropout
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by doG1)
I studied it last term (im at uni in 2nd year). There are a few interesting biographical readings, some have been mentioned. Another is to do with the prose gloss (a very complicated ironic device, not what it seems) - Wordsworth told Coleridge, his friend, that he believed the 1st draft of the poem contained too many archaic words and phrases for the wider audience and worried that it would be inaccessable for many. Coleridge took some of these obscurities out and, perhaps, added this running prose explanation to aid comprehension of the reader.

That said, the prose gloss had other, more technical effects. If you care at all then ask and ill try and explain!
so, in an exam, would I recieve marks for context, if say, I mentioned that ROAM was written and re-drafted by Coleridge to appeal to 'ordinary people' - or using the 'language of men'?
doG1
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Hk
collegedropout
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by doG1)
I dont see why not; it is a fact that Wordsworth recommended Coleridge toned it down. The problem, though, is using this contextual knowledge to make a point, mentioning context by itself doesnt really have any merit. You just have to explain why he wanted to gain the appreciation of a wider audience - which is quite simple really.
It's a bit weird that you're being asked to analyse a poem purely by looking at biographical context of the poet. This poem has loads of philosophical, even existential, aspects to it which have nothing really to do with biography - apart from, perhaps, Coleridge's lonliness.

Maybe start a para mentioning Coleridge's apparant feelings of lonlinesss at the time, show how this is mirrored in the poem on a superficial level (by the mariner etc) then suggest that the existential message of the poem is greatly linked to Coleridge's feelings too. (see the other thread on this where ive talked about this aspect to the poem). Bring in the prose gloss which ironically highlights the existential feelings of the mariner to get full marks!
Cool, Thanks thats really helpful. I wish there was more stuff like this on the Lyrical Ballads Collection, as I have a January exam on Lyrical Ballads - with the key Assessment Objective being A05ii - context.
So, if you have any knowledge of any other Wordsworth/Coleridge poems, feel free to let me know!
nikhil_a
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The poem's almost a ballad within a ballad as the mariner speaks his tale to the guest and the holistic form of the poem is the ballad. Could you call the mariner's parts a meta-ballad?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (32)
7.02%
October 2021 (208)
45.61%
November 2021 (50)
10.96%
December 2021 (59)
12.94%
January 2021 (51)
11.18%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.99%