AA..
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
In the coming month, I need to submit my choices for GCSE.
In addition to maths, english and science, these are the 6 extra subjects I am taking.
History
Health and Social
Geography
Ethics and Philosophy
French
Computer Science
I will only be given 4, and this is in the order of preference. Please, could anyone help me by commenting on whether or not this is a good list, and if you have already done the GCSE, could you tell me how you found it.
Especially if you've done any of the top four, as those are the ones I'm most likely to be given.
kiraaaaaxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
health and social is course work and got exams but its pretty easy and the content is common sense really.

history is hard loads of gcse content there but like there would be loads of dates and things to remember....

Ethics and Philosophy- is like religious studies and does cover specific religion covering content about them......
AA..
Rep:
?
(Original post by kiraaaaaxo)
health and social is course work and got exams but its pretty easy and the content is common sense really.

history is hard loads of gcse content there but like there would be loads of dates and things to remember....

Ethics and Philosophy- is like religious studies and does cover specific religion covering content about them......
Ok, thank you so much!
jolet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Out of this list, I have only done geography, but I'm so happy I picked it over history. If you like history, then take it, but my friends have told me about the huge amount of writing you have to do, as it is a fully essay exam subject I think. I'm happy I took geography because the content is easy, there is less writing to do in the exams (still a bit of writing though), and it's really easy to remember. The content is not hard at all (at least in my school), you just need to remember the case studies, and that's not hard to do. In the exams all you do is give a point, then explain it for a few paragraphs, and some questions are multiple-choice. There is a tiny bit of maths, but easy maths, such as co-ordinates and percentage change (that's it). Good luck with choosing and I hope you enjoy the subjects you pick! (I hope I haven't put you off history because it is still a good subject apparently just the exams are long and tiring haha)
AA..
Rep:
?
(Original post by jolet)
Out of this list, I have only done geography, but I'm so happy I picked it over history. If you like history, then take it, but my friends have told me about the huge amount of writing you have to do, as it is a fully essay exam subject I think. I'm happy I took geography because the content is easy, there is less writing to do in the exams (still a bit of writing though), and it's really easy to remember. The content is not hard at all (at least in my school), you just need to remember the case studies, and that's not hard to do. In the exams all you do is give a point, then explain it for a few paragraphs, and some questions are multiple-choice. There is a tiny bit of maths, but easy maths, such as co-ordinates and percentage change (that's it). Good luck with choosing and I hope you enjoy the subjects you pick! (I hope I haven't put you off history because it is still a good subject apparently just the exams are long and tiring haha)
I am kind of put off history, because most people are saying (like you have) that there is a lot of content, and I am not the best at writing quickly in a short time, as I like to include everything, but you have definitely made me feel like geography's a good option. Did you find it interesting though?
Thank you so much for the advice!
jolet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AA..)
I am kind of put off history, because most people are saying (like you have) that there is a lot of content, and I am not the best at writing quickly in a short time, as I like to include everything, but you have definitely made me feel like geography's a good option. Did you find it interesting though?
Thank you so much for the advice!
Yes! I did find it interesting, some parts were a little boring, but others were interesting. The part I found boring was about the UK's human geography, which was okay, but not the most exciting part. There's a lot of topics though (some linking together), so if you dislike one, there will always be a new one. History, however, has 4 topics I think, so if you hate one, you have like 6 months of it. I prefer physical geography, which is about rivers, coasts, cold environments and weather at my school, because its a lot more interesting but also slightly confusing sometimes, but once you understand it, it's easy. I did Nigeria's oil, Svalbard, Bristol, Freiburg and Jamaica (may be more but idk) for human geography, I liked some parts of it, but some parts of it were boring. I also think geography is a good option to take too because I think in the future, geography will be more important due to climate change, and case studies such as Freiburg are focused on climate change. History at my school had something about early America, world war 2 and medicine.
06daraa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Out of your list I do geography and french and I’m in y11 now, geography is split into two: human geography (equality, countries, cities, social and economic stuff) and physical geography (volcanoes, earthquakes etc) it’s quite interesting and can be easy if you enjoy it. For french, your grammar is expanded significantly but it’s essential, you end up with about 8 tenses. frequently going over vocab will help (quizlet) with writing and translation and you can improve listening by watching some movies or shows in french or with french subtitles

I do AQA for both btw, good luck!!
rola05
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I did history gcse and got a 8-If you enjoy it you will find it okay ,if you dont then dont choose it.Its heavily essay based and there are many dates and names to remember
AA..
Rep:
?
(Original post by 06daraa)
Out of your list I do geography and french and I’m in y11 now, geography is split into two: human geography (equality, countries, cities, social and economic stuff) and physical geography (volcanoes, earthquakes etc) it’s quite interesting and can be easy if you enjoy it. For french, your grammar is expanded significantly but it’s essential, you end up with about 8 tenses. frequently going over vocab will help (quizlet) with writing and translation and you can improve listening by watching some movies or shows in french or with french subtitles

I do AQA for both btw, good luck!!
Thank you so much. The only reason french is so low down in my list, is because of the stress it gives me before the exam. I sometimes use quizlet, but I use duolingo more for general revision. Have you used that website, and is it any good? Thanks - this was useful!
AA..
Rep:
?
(Original post by rola05)
I did history gcse and got a 8-If you enjoy it you will find it okay ,if you dont then dont choose it.Its heavily essay based and there are many dates and names to remember
I really enjoy it, and especially because it's working at home now, history is the subject I constantly do extra research and work for. I did a mini assessment last term on WW1, and got quite high, but the thing that worries me is that everyone says that there is soo much content, and dates, and I am definitely not the best at memorising. If the exams are similar to the ones we do now, I could improve and be ok, but if once GCSE's start, it gets super hard, then I worry that I may not do well. So, did the topic get really hard after yr9?
Thanks so much - the advice was useful!
rola05
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AA..)
I really enjoy it, and especially because it's working at home now, history is the subject I constantly do extra research and work for. I did a mini assessment last term on WW1, and got quite high, but the thing that worries me is that everyone says that there is soo much content, and dates, and I am definitely not the best at memorising. If the exams are similar to the ones we do now, I could improve and be ok, but if once GCSE's start, it gets super hard, then I worry that I may not do well. So, did the topic get really hard after yr9?
Thanks so much - the advice was useful!
I wouldn't say it was hard but you have to be dedicated-make flashcards and notes as you go on,DON'T leave it last minute.I now do a level history and i would say gcse history is a lot easier than A level mainly due to the fact I enjoyed it in yr 11.All you need to do is revise and memorise and learn the essay structure and I'm sure you would be fine.
AA..
Rep:
?
(Original post by rola05)
I wouldn't say it was hard but you have to be dedicated-make flashcards and notes as you go on,DON'T leave it last minute.I now do a level history and i would say gcse history is a lot easier than A level mainly due to the fact I enjoyed it in yr 11.All you need to do is revise and memorise and learn the essay structure and I'm sure you would be fine.
Thanks so much; I will definitely look through past paper mark schemes, to understand the structure they want.
06daraa
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by AA..)
Thank you so much. The only reason french is so low down in my list, is because of the stress it gives me before the exam. I sometimes use quizlet, but I use duolingo more for general revision. Have you used that website, and is it any good? Thanks - this was useful!
No problem at all! I use Duolingo too but I find it hard to stay consistent on it but that’s probably my fault because it’s good for building up general words for everyday french. Immersing yourself in the language helps calm your nerves before an exam because you know that you have knowledge, like watch a french show the night before, listen to french music and my phone is in french. Hope this helps!
AA..
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by 06daraa)
No problem at all! I use Duolingo too but I find it hard to stay consistent on it but that’s probably my fault because it’s good for building up general words for everyday french. Immersing yourself in the language helps calm your nerves before an exam because you know that you have knowledge, like watch a french show the night before, listen to french music and my phone is in french. Hope this helps!
Yes, this helps!
I get what you mean, I hate it when I lose streaks and it makes me lose motivation.
Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.77%
No (449)
48.23%

Watched Threads