The Student Room Group

Nursing student don’t want to be a nurse anyone else had a career change from nursing

So I 100% know I don’t want to be a nurse when I graduate, is there anyone out their who has qualified as a nurse but then gone into something else? Please give me hope I hate nursing and really want a career change!!
Original post by Anomm1417
So I 100% know I don’t want to be a nurse when I graduate, is there anyone out their who has qualified as a nurse but then gone into something else? Please give me hope I hate nursing and really want a career change!!

Hi
You won't hate nursing once you qualify , you only feeling this way due to current situation we are in with covid19 and the extra pressure's it causing.

Apply to a area of nursing you may enjoy better like working in out patients department or community nursing as these are probably less stressful than working on wards.
Don't waste last 3 years on a instant decision as you'll be a good person to NHS as a nurse.

@Emily_B. What do you think !!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
You won't hate nursing once you qualify , you only feeling this way due to current situation we are in with covid19 and the extra pressure's it causing.

Apply to a area of nursing you may enjoy better like working in out patients department or community nursing as these are probably less stressful than working on wards.
Don't waste last 3 years on a instant decision as you'll be a good servant to NHS as a nurse.

Your use of the word servant would make me uncomfortable if I were doing nursing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Can you detail what types of activities, skills and experiences that you particularly enjoyed on your work placements or studies?

You havent given us much to go on in order to identify an area of employment you may enjoy and what your concerns are with gping into nursing.

Nursing offers a wide variety of roles, in a wide variety of environments with many different types of employers - the experiences really differ. Are you tempted by any area at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Anomm1417

How do you know? What do you hate about it?
Nursing isn't for everyone, but the degree is particularly challenging at this point. I personally qualified before the pandemic and haven't liked quite a bit of working through it but am still in the job because I know it'll get better. I also wasn't fond of the theory side, and didn't like a few placements but loved other placements and now am on a ward where I enjoy the job.
Original post by Emily_B
How do you know? What do you hate about it?
Nursing isn't for everyone, but the degree is particularly challenging at this point. I personally qualified before the pandemic and haven't liked quite a bit of working through it but am still in the job because I know it'll get better. I also wasn't fond of the theory side, and didn't like a few placements but loved other placements and now am on a ward where I enjoy the job.

I have panic attacks before placement and I am always anxious at work so surely that is a sign it is not right for me. I dislike a lot about it, how we are treated, the long hours, the pressure put on nurses and it quite honestly is making me miserable. The paperwork and also lack of communication!
Original post by Jowo
Can you detail what types of activities, skills and experiences that you particularly enjoyed on your work placements or studies?

You havent given us much to go on in order to identify an area of employment you may enjoy and what your concerns are with gping into nursing.

Nursing offers a wide variety of roles, in a wide variety of environments with many different types of employers - the experiences really differ. Are you tempted by any area at all?

I love working with people and caring for people but I don’t like the responsibility that really stresses me out. I enjoyed community but don’t like the thought of working on my own. What concerns me with going into nursing is that I will be unhappy, I don’t like the long shifts and the pressures put on us. I am very anxious / nervous when it comes to medication rounds and just thinking I would be happier doing something else....
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi

Don't waste last 3 years on a instant decision as you'll be a good person to NHS as a nurse.

Unfortunately I felt like this before Covid too:frown:
Thanks for your reply though! I am just not sure if nursing is for me feel like I have gone down the wrong route in life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending