The Student Room Group

I don't know which sixth form to go to (pls help!!)

I have two sixth forms and I have no idea which one to choose, so some advice would be really appreciated and I have to make the decision soon.

In school A, all my friends are going there, it achieves the best results in the county and I can take all the necessary subjects for uni.

School B, it would be a completely new environment that also gets really good grades, and there is a subject in school B that I would really like to take, that school A doesn't offer it. This subject isn't necessary for uni or anything, I'm more just taking it for fun/'light' subject.

Distance isn't really a factor since they are pretty much the same distance away, and it might be worth mentioning that school b is a Catholic sixth form and I'm Muslim lol. However, Muslims do go to that school, so it isn't a huge issue.
Thank youu :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rivergem
I have two sixth forms and I have no idea which one to choose, so some advice would be really appreciated and I have to make the decision soon.

In school A, all my friends are going there, it achieves the best results in the county and I can take all the necessary subjects for uni.

School B, it would be a completely new environment that also gets really good grades, and there is a subject in school B that I would really like to take, that school A doesn't offer it. This subject isn't necessary for uni or anything, I'm more just taking it for fun/'light' subject.

Distance isn't really a factor since they are pretty much the same distance away, and it might be worth mentioning that school b is a Catholic sixth form and I'm Muslim lol. However, Muslims do go to that school, so it isn't a huge issue.
Thank youu :smile:

id say go for school A due to the rep it has for achieving best results in the county, this could most definitely assist you in getting the best grades and therefore offers from top universities. the pro about that aswell is that you would already know your friends that are going there as well as meeting new people. also, it will honestly benefit you more if you choose subjects related to your course you want to do at uni due to the skills and other stuff you can accquire that you could incorporate in your uni course.
Reply 2
tbh I'm more sold on school A. it's often easier to achieve what you want to in a familiar environment (IE with your friends)
Original post by Eldw
tbh I'm more sold on school A. it's often easier to achieve what you want to in a familiar environment (IE with your friends)

yes i totally agree
I think ultimately the decision has to be up to you. Before I started 6th form, I was in a similar dilemma but think I did make the right choice in the end.

School A for me achieved the best or some of the best results for that type of school in the county, all my friends were there (and it'd taken a long time to make them), I was told they'd tailor my timetable for me etc. School B was an Evangelical Christian school (that was difficult because they forced everyone to go to chapel every day and were v homophobic openly etc but most schools aren't like that legally anyway), good results, some of the best in it's county (different counties) and offered a subject that school A didn't and it was a subject that was fairly light and one I really wanted to do - useful for my uni degree but not necessary.

I ended up choosing School B in the end although it was a difficult decision. I think the thing that really got me was that going to uni, my friends and I would have to move anyway. I made a few new friends, not as many as I could've but they're really close friends and am in contact with some of my old school friends too. I actually think I wouldn't have got as good results had I stayed in school A because I would have been too familiar (especially with friends - although all really high achievers, because we were so close, studying was difficult around them) whereas because school B was unfamiliar, I worked harder and they had smaller class sizes which definitely helped (though were stricter which was annoying but...).

The campus was definitely more beautiful which idk was an added factor but although I missed a few things about school A, school B was quieter, more focused and I grew so much more as a person in a new environment in a way that I definitely couldn't have in School A. I still achieved 3 A*s etc and got into the unis I wanted (one uni has an acceptance rate of 8%). I really did grow.

I think although of course results are important, results are only one aspect and often teaching is important, environment etc (for example one school I went to a few years ago, the results didn't look amazing but the teaching was some of the best I'd had - the results tables weren't as good just because it was a huge school with many more pupils so yes they got quite a few pupils brilliant results, it's impossible to get those results for everyone in such a big school with a range of capabilities) is too and although GCSEs results are often down to teaching, with A levels, you're expected to do a lot more independent work anyway although it helps if teaching is good.

As I said though, ultimately it is up to you and you have to go with what fits with you best. I personally decided that the positives of moving to school B outweighed the negatives and although the familiarity of school A was comforting and difficult to part with, I needed a change and grew a lot more in school B...
Original post by lmgreynolds
I think ultimately the decision has to be up to you. Before I started 6th form, I was in a similar dilemma but think I did make the right choice in the end.

School A for me achieved the best or some of the best results for that type of school in the county, all my friends were there (and it'd taken a long time to make them), I was told they'd tailor my timetable for me etc. School B was an Evangelical Christian school (that was difficult because they forced everyone to go to chapel every day and were v homophobic openly etc but most schools aren't like that legally anyway), good results, some of the best in it's county (different counties) and offered a subject that school A didn't and it was a subject that was fairly light and one I really wanted to do - useful for my uni degree but not necessary.

I ended up choosing School B in the end although it was a difficult decision. I think the thing that really got me was that going to uni, my friends and I would have to move anyway. I made a few new friends, not as many as I could've but they're really close friends and am in contact with some of my old school friends too. I actually think I wouldn't have got as good results had I stayed in school A because I would have been too familiar (especially with friends - although all really high achievers, because we were so close, studying was difficult around them) whereas because school B was unfamiliar, I worked harder and they had smaller class sizes which definitely helped (though were stricter which was annoying but...).

The campus was definitely more beautiful which idk was an added factor but although I missed a few things about school A, school B was quieter, more focused and I grew so much more as a person in a new environment in a way that I definitely couldn't have in School A. I still achieved 3 A*s etc and got into the unis I wanted (one uni has an acceptance rate of 8%). I really did grow.

I think although of course results are important, results are only one aspect and often teaching is important, environment etc (for example one school I went to a few years ago, the results didn't look amazing but the teaching was some of the best I'd had - the results tables weren't as good just because it was a huge school with many more pupils so yes they got quite a few pupils brilliant results, it's impossible to get those results for everyone in such a big school with a range of capabilities) is too and although GCSEs results are often down to teaching, with A levels, you're expected to do a lot more independent work anyway although it helps if teaching is good.

As I said though, ultimately it is up to you and you have to go with what fits with you best. I personally decided that the positives of moving to school B outweighed the negatives and although the familiarity of school A was comforting and difficult to part with, I needed a change and grew a lot more in school B...

It just seems like you're saying school B for you still achieves pretty good results so you're not too worried about that. I'd only worry about the results if the difference in achievement between the schools was huge.
Reply 6
Original post by lmgreynolds

thank you!! I agree I think in a way school B will help me grow more, but it's tough having to start over and make new friends. but yeah there isn't a huge difference between schools grade wise, just that school A is a little better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending