Znb03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Mathematics and I want to continue to teach at a secondary level. I've been researching different training options and pathways and to be honest it's very overwhelming. I know I want to train in a school but I have no idea where to start and what the best option is for me. I also have no idea when I need to start to apply. Any advice is very welcome
Last edited by Znb03; 1 day ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Znb03)
I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Mathematics and I want to continue to teach at a secondary level. I've been researching different training options and pathways and to be honest it's very overwhelming. I know I want to train in a school but I have no idea where to start and what the best option is for me. I also have no idea when I need to start to apply. Any advice is very welcome
I'm currently a secondary maths teacher, so hopefully I can advise a bit!

I found that my university careers office had a few opportunities for maths/physics final year students who were interested in teaching (since these are shortage subjects). Could be something to look into towards the end of this year / start of next year, if covid allows for it anyway. It's good to get some classroom experience if you can.

If you want a school-centred training route, you can look into School Direct and SCITT courses in your local area. These will likely still have a university component, but usually mean that you are in your first placement school from day one. Usually, on a course like this, you start by just observing, then after a few weeks you may take over doing starter tasks, and eventually you will take over full lessons. As the year progresses, you will be expected to teach an increasing number of lessons per week.

When it comes to applying, I believe applications usually open around October/November. With maths, there is less a risk of spaces running out since it's not oversubscribed usually, so you could theoretically apply right up until the last minute in summer. However, it's probably best to aim to send off your application before February of your final year, as this gives you time to prepare once you have accepted a place.

Let me know if you've got any other questions!
Znb03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I'm currently a secondary maths teacher, so hopefully I can advise a bit!

I found that my university careers office had a few opportunities for maths/physics final year students who were interested in teaching (since these are shortage subjects). Could be something to look into towards the end of this year / start of next year, if covid allows for it anyway. It's good to get some classroom experience if you can.

If you want a school-centred training route, you can look into School Direct and SCITT courses in your local area. These will likely still have a university component, but usually mean that you are in your first placement school from day one. Usually, on a course like this, you start by just observing, then after a few weeks you may take over doing starter tasks, and eventually you will take over full lessons. As the year progresses, you will be expected to teach an increasing number of lessons per week.

When it comes to applying, I believe applications usually open around October/November. With maths, there is less a risk of spaces running out since it's not oversubscribed usually, so you could theoretically apply right up until the last minute in summer. However, it's probably best to aim to send off your application before February of your final year, as this gives you time to prepare once you have accepted a place.

Let me know if you've got any other questions!
Hiya,

This has been so helpful, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to make an appointment with the careers office soon.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi Znb03

The Early Engagement team at the Get into Teaching Information Service help people who are preparing for a teacher training application for 2022/23. We help people get their application ready so that they can apply as soon as they possibly can (usually October) and then avoid the application interfering with finals and dissertations!

It's really important to be able to choose the best course for you and we can spend some time with you to find out what support is available to you locally. We can help you write the personal statement for the application and help prepare for interview!

Please give us a call on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an adviser, alternatively, register here and we shall call you!

All the best!

Olivia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (294)
31.75%
No (632)
68.25%

Watched Threads