The Student Room Group

Coronavirus Vaccine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jlggr4
lack of research?!?! its all they've been researching for months non-stop!!!!!!!

Its only approved for use by the emergency use authorisation.
Reply 22
Original post by dreamflower0987
Its only approved for use by the emergency use authorisation.

Because of all the research that has been done that has shown them to be safe and effective, and the continuous flow of evidence coming through that continues to show their effectiveness. Authorised for emergency use doesn't mean they are unsafe or uneffective.
(edited 2 years ago)
I haven't heard of anyone who died after getting the vaccines
H

So far the most vaccinated country in the world is Seychelles even greater number of vaccines than Israel. This article says they are under another lockdown even after them so..

They started letting tourists back in last month which might be related

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/05/06/seychelles-vaccines-covid-cases/

also I'm supposing it might be an effect of which people you give the vaccines to... maybe it wasn't the people in the tourist service jobs?
Original post by Talon
Because of all the research that has been done that has shown them to be safe and effective, and the continuous flow of evidence coming through that continues to show their effectiveness. Authorised for emergency use doesn't mean they are unsafe or uneffective.

The long term effects are not known at all. Last time for the swine flu pandemic they also used a rushed vaccine and years later there were many cases of children and adults who suffer from narcolepsy and cataplexy. These sort of cases is common in the medical field. They use a certain drug for years then later they realise it has some serious side effect then they ban it but by then its too late. Those who suffer from the side effects will be in many cases affected for life such as the narcolepsy cases. They are unable to work and need permanent medical therapy. This is also the very first time MRNA vaccines have been used in humans so safety is something I'd say cannot be confirmed at this point. The coronavirus itself is not so severe a disease. Most people know that the majority of people only suffer minor symptoms and recover fairly quickly. The death rates too the majority it is fatal to is the very elderly population or those who have significant comorbidities.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933977
John Ioannidis an epidemiologist is interviewed here. He conducted a study to determine the fatality rate of covid which he found to be much lower than initially predicted at the start of the pandemic. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v3
Reply 26
The long term effects are not known at all. Last time for the swine flu pandemic they also used a rushed vaccine and years later there were many cases of children and adults who suffer from narcolepsy and cataplexy. These sort of cases is common in the medical field. They use a certain drug for years then later they realise it has some serious side effect then they ban it but by then its too late. Those who suffer from the side effects will be in many cases affected for life such as the narcolepsy cases. They are unable to work and need permanent medical therapy. This is also the very first time MRNA vaccines have been used in humans so safety is something I'd say cannot be confirmed at this point. The coronavirus itself is not so severe a disease. Most people know that the majority of people only suffer minor symptoms and recover fairly quickly. The death rates too the majority it is fatal to is the very elderly population or those who have significant comorbidities.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933977
John Ioannidis an epidemiologist is interviewed here. He conducted a study to determine the fatality rate of covid which he found to be much lower than initially predicted at the start of the pandemic. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v3

The same arguments could be used for any drug. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of waiting 100 years to ensure the perfect safety of any drug we use over a human's entire lifetime. The issue with covid-19 isn't necessarily the fatality rate, it is how easily it spreads. It is all well and good saying only 1.5% people people die (the exact rate isn't easy to come by) but when billions of people get infected, the dead stack up. I'm sure the low mortality rate will be a huge comfort to the families of the dead.

Also, finding one reference to support your view is not good science. I could go and find a study on how the earth is flat but that wouldn't make it true.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Talon

The vaccine trials showed the vaccines to be safe in the SHORT term. They have not yet been tested for safety in the LONG term and the FDA won't give the vaccines normal approval unless and until that long term safety has been conducted and produced favourable results. See here:

https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download

Page 9 - Section 2.3

"In the event an EUA is issued for this product, it would still be considered unapproved and it would be under further investigation (under an Investigational New Drug Application) until it is licensed under a Biologics License Application (BLA).

Licensure of a COVID-19 vaccine will be based on review of additional manufacturing, efficacy, and safety data, providing greater assurance of the comparability of licensed product to product tested in the clinical trials, greater assurance of safety based on larger numbers of vaccine recipients who have been followed for a longer period of time, and additional information about efficacy that addresses, among other questions, the potential for waning of protection over time. "

You are correct that Emergency Usage Authorisation doesn't mean the vaccines are not safe but neither does it mean they are safe either. It means the vaccines haven't been through all of the normal testing procedures that are required for approval. They only have Emergency Usage Authorisation at the moment because we are in a pandemic situation. Were we not in a pandemic then none of the vaccines would have any authorisation for use simple as.

The vaccines DO represent a level of risk because of this situation, because they have not been tested for long term safety and other aspects. Thus people need to assess those risks for themselves and consider them against the risks associated with Covid itself. For the "at risk" vulnerable people the risks of Covid are significant and so most have decided to take the vaccines hoping that there will be no long term impacts. But this is an individual risk assessment for each person in their own circumstances, states of health and understanding of the relevant facts.

It's very important that people understand the risks involved with both Covid and the vaccines.

I've assessed my own risks and made my decision to NOT take any of the vaccines. I'm sure millions will do likewise just as millions of others will elect to take the vaccines. Each to their own. It must be a personal decision.
Original post by Talon
The same arguments could be used for any drug. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of waiting 100 years to ensure the perfect safety of any drug we use over a human's entire lifetime. The issue with covid-19 isn't necessarily the fatality rate, it is how easily it spreads.

Well, no they couldn't really because other vaccines and drugs HAVE to go through the full rigorous testing cycles before they can gain approval and that typically takes years. But we are in a pandemic situation so as per my previous post the Covid vaccines have Emergency Usage Approval.

Also I disagree with you that the issue isn't the fatality rate. The issue absolutely IS the fatality rate. That's the metric driving the national response and is the reason we have rolled out vaccines that have no approval, only EUA. How easily it spreads would be of absolutely no concern were the virus not deadly to the "at risk" demographic. The number of cases likewise would be of little concern. We all get colds and ILIs on a regular routine basis and have done for years and years. No-one remotely cares about the spread of colds or the number of cases of Rhinovirus or similar conditions because colds are not deemed deadly. If Covid were not deadly we wouldn't care how fast it spreads or how many cases there are.

So fatality rate is very much the driving factor and the most important issue imho.
are the vaccines available can protect us from the India variant?
I ain't touching it wait till a year down the line when everyone starts dropping dead

Quick Reply

Latest