NurseWannabee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'll skip the long introduction, but after 4 years in the software development sector, I'm now 23 years old and thinking about transitioning to nursing. Since I don't have the required qualifications to immediately go onto the 3 year course, I looked around and my local college offers Access to HE Nursing night courses, but I've been stuck on which field to go into. They offer these two:

-> Access to HE Health Science Professions (Adult Nursing) CERTA Level 3 Diploma
-> Access to HE Midwifery, Child Nursing

I'm interested in Pediatric Nursing, so naturally the choice should be the second option. However, would it be better to take the adult nursing diploma? as far as I'm aware, even if I take the access to HE adult nursing diploma, I can still apply for undergraduate nursing (child) as at least Sheffield Hallam states that they accept "Approved Access to HE Diploma in health studies, health science, social sciences or nursing. Normally we require 15 of the level 3 credits to be graded at distinction level."

Also anyone here a male nurse? any bad experiences?
Last edited by NurseWannabee; 5 months ago
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by NurseWannabee)
I'll skip the long introduction, but after 4 years in the software development sector, I'm now 23 years old and thinking about transitioning to nursing. Since I don't have the required qualifications to immediately go onto the 3 year course, I looked around and my local college offers Access to HE Nursing night courses, but I've been stuck on which field to go into. They offer these two:

-> Access to HE Health Science Professions (Adult Nursing) CERTA Level 3 Diploma

I'm interested in Pediatric Nursing, so naturally the choice should be the second option. However, would it be better to take the adult nursing diploma? as far as I'm aware, even if I take the access to HE adult nursing diploma, I can still apply for undergraduate nursing (child) as at least Sheffield Hallam states that they accept "Approved Access to HE Diploma in health studies, health science, social sciences or nursing. Normally we require 15 of the level 3 credits to be graded at distinction level."

NurseWannabee
Hello! I teach on an Access to HE Nursing program, the key things that a University admissions tutor would want to see is a mixture of relevant unit's - typically Human Biology, Health Sciences, and Health Studies. You are the typical age of an Access to HE student (i've taught about 300 students and most of them are your age).

I would speak to the Course Leader about which pathway to take - they will likely have connections with the local universities and know what they want. I would strongly advise you to do the course at a local FE college, because online programs have a very high drop out rate

You'll do great - they will even help with your UCAS application

About 5% of my students have been male and have had no problems at all - remember under the Equality Act 2010 you cannot be discriminated against, and also, for equality purposes there is a massive drive for male nurses

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
NurseWannabee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Arden University)
NurseWannabee
Hello! I teach on an Access to HE Nursing program, the key things that a University admissions tutor would want to see is a mixture of relevant unit's - typically Human Biology, Health Sciences, and Health Studies. You are the typical age of an Access to HE student (i've taught about 300 students and most of them are your age).

I would speak to the Course Leader about which pathway to take - they will likely have connections with the local universities and know what they want. I would strongly advise you to do the course at a local FE college, because online programs have a very high drop out rate

About 5% of my students have been male and have had no problems at all - remember under the Equality Act 2010 you cannot be discriminated against, and also, for equality purposes there is a massive drive for male nurses

Marc
Thanks for the reply Marc! Definitely put me at ease.

I contacted the college and it turns out that I was mistaken, they offer the exact same access qualification, but 4 different pathways depending on what you want to specialize in.

They told me that universities expect you to have some form of care experience by the time you apply. I am planning on leaving my full-time job whilst studying for my access diploma and take a part-time care job instead, out of curiosity, what care jobs do you see a lot of your students taking? or are there any you could recommend I look into? I volunteer for St Johns Ambulance already, so I do have the option of looking internally if all else fails.
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for the reply Marc! Definitely put me at ease.

I contacted the college and it turns out that I was mistaken, they offer the exact same access qualification, but 4 different pathways depending on what you want to specialize in.

They told me that universities expect you to have some form of care experience by the time you apply. I am planning on leaving my full-time job whilst studying for my access diploma and take a part-time care job instead, out of curiosity, what care jobs do you see a lot of your students taking? or are there any you could recommend I look into? I volunteer for St Johns Ambulance already, so I do have the option of looking internally if all else fails.
NurseWannabee
In terms of progression the majority of my students go into General Nursing (in the lack of a better term), Child Nursing, one or two as paramedics, some choose to do mental health nursing and elect to do Psychology instead of Health Studies as one of their modules, but this is not essential, getting the right number of credits is. Health Studies has a bit of Psychology embedded into it (well my lectures certainly do)

These days, in most nursing degree's in any form, there is a big focus on mental health support anyway

One thing for sure when you do your UCAS application when you start the Access course, is have a look at the principles and guidelines of the Nursing and Midwifery Council, and shape your experiences and skills around those

Marc
vicoria86
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

hi
in generl if you do child nursing then you can only practise that feild. where as if you do adult nursing then you can work in the Ed scbu icu as a childrens nurse just informing you as child nursing is not called for as much as adult nursing as you will find places re very limited on cild nursing courses.
hope this helps
traceyannedwards
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Arden University)
NurseWannabee

Marc
Marc could I ask you a question... If 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at merit is the equivalent to ABB+ What would be the equivalent of 36 credits at Distinction and 9 at Merit?
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by traceyannedwards)
Marc could I ask you a question... If 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at merit is the equivalent to ABB+ What would be the equivalent of 36 credits at Distinction and 9 at Merit?
@traceyanneedwards
It's a bit difficult to work out off the top of my head, it is worth going onto the UCAS website, you were find a tariff calculator which will give you the answer

Marc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (39)
27.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.57%
No I am happy with my choice (79)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.14%

Watched Threads