Mwalker612
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am in year 9 and about to pick my options. I have been told that I am on the highest pathway which means I will do maths English lan and lit and science. And then Spanish, geog or history but I’m picking geography and then one other subject. I’m not sure what to pick as I want to be a paediatric nurse but sure what to pick I was thinking that I could pick business as a GCSE in case the nurse career doesn’t work out and then is A-levels I have to have chemistry biology or maths in which I would pick maths as I am good at that and then in additional subjects which I would pick psychology. Is this a good plan? Any advice?
A.B72
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
RS is by far the easiest GCSE. It's basically a guaranteed 9 because all it it is common sense and memorising quotes
DanielG_07
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, from a kid in yr 9 as well, all I would say is choose what subjects you want to do based on what job you want to do. Like I'm very good at mainly all subjects, but I chose ones like DT and computing cause i want to be a robotics engineer. So, if you want to be a nurse I would say science like biology and possibly chemistry, psychology, business etc. All I would say is think what you want to be and take subjects required for qualifications in that field of work. Hope it all goes well!
DanielG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by A.B72)
RS is by far the easiest GCSE. It's basically a guaranteed 9 because all it it is common sense and memorising quotes
Yeah I agree definitely, RS is quite easy. All I would say for Mwalker612 is don't choose subjects that r easiest or that ur friends are taking, take one's that will help u in your career. One of my parents' friend took the easiest subjects but then was completely screwed with jobs as he took subjects that would not qualify in many jobs and now works from all his hard efforts as... a janitor... 😂
Mwalker612
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.B72)
I have also been told business is really easy because apparently is it just memorising definitions
Mwalker612
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanielG_07)
Hi, from a kid in yr 9 as well, all I would say is choose what subjects you want to do based on what job you want to do. Like I'm very good at mainly all subjects, but I chose ones like DT and computing cause i want to be a robotics engineer. So, if you want to be a nurse I would say science like biology and possibly chemistry, psychology, business etc. All I would say is think what you want to be and take subjects required for qualifications in that field of work. Hope it all goes well!
Thanks x
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
None of your GCSE's will help you if you need to "fall back" on a qualification unfortunately - GCSE subjects aren't as important as they seem, only useful to get you to A-Levels / a level 3. Choose whatever you enjoy and will get good grades in.

(Original post by DanielG_07)
Yeah I agree definitely, RS is quite easy. All I would say for Mwalker612 is don't choose subjects that r easiest or that ur friends are taking, take one's that will help u in your career. One of my parents' friend took the easiest subjects but then was completely screwed with jobs as he took subjects that would not qualify in many jobs and now works from all his hard efforts as... a janitor... 😂
Sounds like a problem with his grades or lack of further education rather than subject choice. Jobs will usually look at Degrees or A-Levels not GCSE's
Mwalker612
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mwalker612)
I am in year 9 and about to pick my options. I have been told that I am on the highest pathway which means I will do maths English lan and lit and science. And then Spanish, geog or history but I’m picking geography and then one other subject. I’m not sure what to pick as I want to be a paediatric nurse but sure what to pick I was thinking that I could pick business as a GCSE in case the nurse career doesn’t work out and then is A-levels I have to have chemistry biology or maths in which I would pick maths as I am good at that and then in additional subjects which I would pick psychology. Is this a good plan? Any advice?
It doesn’t help that we would usually have like career meeting in my school but obviously we aren’t in school at the moment so aren’t being given any advice on what to pick
DanielG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks x
No problem! Glad I could help
DanielG_07
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
None of your GCSE's will help you if you need to "fall back" on a qualification unfortunately - GCSE subjects aren't as important as they seem, only useful to get you to A-Levels / a level 3. Choose whatever you enjoy and will get good grades in.

Sounds like a problem with his grades or lack of further education rather than subject choice. Jobs will usually look at Degrees or A-Levels not GCSE's
Yeah, that is true. Is partly cuz of his grades I think but yes true
og-icon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by A.B72)
brooo, stop waffling. It is not a guaranteed grade 9, and it is not common sense the content is hard to understand if you are not the same religion, so shushhh.
Puran_T
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Year 13 here, in complete honesty, GCSE's don't really contribute much towards university degrees. RS Is not as easy as it seems btw - many people said it was an easy 9 and ended up with 7's and lower on results day. Go for something you enjoy or pick a subject which statistically has a high number of results 8/9. Also, you don't need to worry about your a-level choices right now. But yes maths at a level can pretty much get you onto any degree
Mwalker612
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puran_T)
Year 13 here, in complete honesty, GCSE's don't really contribute much towards university degrees. RS Is not as easy as it seems btw - many people said it was an easy 9 and ended up with 7's and lower on results day. Go for something you enjoy or pick a subject which statistically has a high number of results 8/9. Also, you don't need to worry about your a-level choices right now. But yes maths at a level can pretty much get you onto any degree
This has actually helped thanks
slightlyinsane
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i reccomend spanish as then you can gain an ebacc! ebacc is made to widen your carrer future, and it is highly recognised! you could then specalise more at a level taking science subjects for nursing
Mwalker612
Rep:
?
(Original post by slightlyinsane)
i reccomend spanish as then you can gain an ebacc! ebacc is made to widen your carrer future, and it is highly recognised! you could then specalise more at a level taking science subjects for nursing
Thanks. The way my school does it I have to take Spanish as a gcse anyway so that works out
User198786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I have also been told business is really easy because apparently is it just memorising definitions
The content isn't a lot and it's easy to memorize but the exam technique is where most people loose marks. There's quite a lot of longer answer questions but if you enjoy it, it's really intersting
Emily_Maguire
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Free career guidance sessions: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6940432
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.72%
No (450)
48.28%

Watched Threads