r/milk
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I got two 7's, two 6's, one 5, and four 4's... - though, this was because of the COVID-19 situation and I cannot resit my exams anymore (my school planned for me to resit my exams that I got lower grades in - in June/July time) and now exams are cancelled I'm really annoyed because I thought I could redeem myself.

So my main question is, does Oxford really care about your GCSE results?
r/milk
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Just a pointer that I was working towards higher grades - and I got downgraded in four subjects.
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by r/milk)
Yes, I get the impression that Oxford take gcses quite heavily into account for shortlisting
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Yes its possible. Their use of GCSEs is best known in medicine (where they are used incredibly heavily).
esme31
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I got two 7's, two 6's, one 5, and four 4's... - though, this was because of the COVID-19 situation and I cannot resit my exams anymore (my school planned for me to resit my exams that I got lower grades in - in June/July time) and now exams are cancelled I'm really annoyed because I thought I could redeem myself.

They definitely do care - i was rejected for law post-interview this year and in my feedback they explicitly mentioned my GCSE's, that being said every uni will take into account extenuating circumstances, and i wouldn't let it put you off from applying
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by esme31)
They definitely do care - i was rejected for law post-interview this year and in my feedback they explicitly mentioned my GCSE's, that being said every uni will take into account extenuating circumstances, and i wouldn't let it put you off from applying
although most do, not all take into consideration mitigating circumstances haha. i applied for geography with mitigating circumstances, but the letter probably wasn’t forwarded to the central dept so the circumstances weren’t considered which was annoying
mathsgenielols
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by esme31)
if you don’t mind sharing, what were your gcse grades?
esme31
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mathsgenielols)
if you don’t mind sharing, what were your gcse grades?
so i got 5 8s, 4 7s, and 2 6s, but they did say that my GCSEs were a strong part of the application (I think it was my LNAT essay that let me down), sorry if I was misleading, i just meant to point out that they definitely do look at them
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

What subject are you interested in?
r/milk
Rep:
(Original post by Hugh's Swan)
What subject are you interested in?
History
OnAndOff
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
History
the pain is real here brother, same here. I just didn't try in my mocks and it cost me alot.
Caesero
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
History
I doubt Oxford will care about your GCSEs. CAGs aren't objective.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

Oxford are well known to filter with GCSEs.

It is not the only consideration, entry exams, predictions, A-level results, interviews are all play their part.

What I think is also worth considering is people who do well on GCSEs are more likely to follow that up with strong performances elsewhere in the admissions process.

Generally I think it's fair to say most Oxfords students are getting a high number of A*s at GCSE but you can find statistical outliers.

EDIT: It is not yet known how they will treat covid affected results, on one end you can see them being more forgiving but on another grade were highly inflated so they may get even stricter. I think courses that use entry exams its reasonable to assume they'll lean more heavily on these but its just known at this moment in time.
Last edited by mnot; 9 months ago
Hairwillkillme
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

History... u still have four other uni choices so what’s the harm in applying anyway?
the_pharaoh
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

yes u need mostly 9's and like a few 8's
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
Oxford consider 9 and 8 to be the same ..
Hairwillkillme
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(they don’t differentiate between 8s and 9s)
the_pharaoh
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Oxford consider 9 and 8 to be the same ..
well i mean i spoke to them and our school litrally told us so im preety sure they do
econmitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
My understanding is that Oxbridge does in fact value GCSEs more than most unis. If you think about the people applying, they're often getting like A*A*A* (or more) or 45 on IB, etc., so their application judgement then branches out to other measures. Even if they only require like a 7 for Maths & English GCSE, if the only distinguishing factor between you and another candidate is that they got 9s then they probably have a better chance. Oxford also likes to see things like wider reading though, since you need to read an enormous amount there. They might also consider EPQ, work experience, charity, sports, etc. Also worth noting Oxford has a strong interview process and even students with perfect scores sometimes do not have the problem solving, social, etc. skills to pass.

I'm Australian and only joined the UK for A-Levels so I'm not super intimate with your GCSE system, but idk if you might be able to retake them alongside A Levels/IB? I sat my Maths & English GCSEs alongside A Levels in Y13 (this year) just to help my UCAS applications.
Last edited by econmitch; 9 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
well i mean i spoke to them and our school litrally told us so im preety sure they do
Pretty sure that they do what? Who is "them"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.75%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.08%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.53%
Finding the motivation (23)
24.73%
Getting distracted (14)
15.05%
Procrastination (37)
39.78%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.08%

Watched Threads