University grading - Please help!!!

Watch
Random_user45
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
We recievced our grades for our assignment and I can see great disparity between the grade given to people for the same quality of work. I had an interview and the lecturer told me it's because you get lenient markers and harsh markers and that she's not the only one who marks it there are other tutors too.

Is this allowed? For there to be such disparity in grades? Like I got 50 and the other person got 70 for practically the same work.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Random_user45)
We recievced our grades for our assignment and I can see great disparity between the grade given to people for the same quality of work. I had an interview and the lecturer told me it's because you get lenient markers and harsh markers and that she's not the only one who marks it there are other tutors too.

Is this allowed? For there to be such disparity in grades? Like I got 50 and the other person got 70 for practically the same work.
You need to look at your university's policy on appealing marks. If there are marking discrepancies and the course doesn't use second markers as standard (or a different sort of moderation to ensure consistency between markers) then you need to find out how to appeal for a marking review if you think you've been unfairly marked
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Random_user45)

You can have different markers although their is usually a marking criteria they all use so to avoid discrepancies and their certainly shouldn't be 20% discrepancies. Although it's worth understanding that the academic judgement of the quality of a piece of work lies with the academic, whilst you might think they are similar in standard the lecturers may disagree.

Normally in assignments with a high number of submissions where their is multiple markers their is often moderation that occurs to ensure fair marking standards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (537)
51.05%
No (515)
48.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed