Turn on thread page Beta

Camp America. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever applied for this? If so, rejected/accepted...any experiences? I'm getting an interview at some point and wanted to know the 'ins and outs' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    what do u actually do over there? i've only vaguely heard about it

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of it. and I'm an american! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    what do u actually do over there? i've only vaguely heard about it
    Take a look! =) http://www.campamerica.co.uk/Page.asp

Basically, you spend nine weeks in america looking after kids at a camp. Should be fun

ReputationRep:
    like a camp counselor? oh, we can be little horrors! it's like junior high, only in the great outdoors!

have FUNNNN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    like a camp counselor? oh, we can be little horros! it's like junior high, only in the great outdoors!

have FUNNNN!
    Indeedy

I love kids, i'm sure it'll be a great experience, should I get to go.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate from uni went two years in a row, but she went with CCUSA (practically the same thing)

She said it was an amazing experience, but really hard work, it wasn't a holiday, they were basically working 24 a day, they had to get up with the kids at 6 in the morning if they wanted a shower, and had to be up until the kids had gone to bed, she was only getting about 4 hours a night, she also had to get up in the night if any of the kids needed her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    Indeedy

I was a counselor at VBS, and I was in charge of 22 kindergarteners! by the end of the week I felt like taking the majority of them and doing this :motz: and I love kids!

I felt like doing this to myself! :shot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    My housemate from uni went two years in a row, but she went with CCUSA (practically the same thing)

She said it was an amazing experience, but really hard work, it wasn't a holiday, they were basically working 24 a day, they had to get up with the kids at 6 in the morning if they wanted a shower, and had to be up until the kids had gone to bed, she was only getting about 4 hours a night, she also had to get up in the night if any of the kids needed her.
    Awww! I wouldn't mind the hours as that's about as much sleep as I usually get =) It'll look awesome on a CV. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Indeedy

You love KIDS??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    I was a counselor at VBS, and I was in charge of 22 kindergarteners! by the end of the week I felt like taking the majority of them and doing this :motz: and I love kids!

I felt like doing this to myself! :shot:
    Pah don't try and put me off =P I want to be reassured! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I'd love to do something like that.

Make sure you find out about how you'll be paid though, because if they insist on doing it through a bank account, you'll need a social security number, and you, being english, obviously won't have one...and they're generally reluctant to give internationals bank accounts and stuff.

so. uh..look into that.

but i hope the interview goes well.
    Thank you, babe. I'll look into that, I mean it'll be worth asking about during the interview, should they decide to take me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    You love KIDS??? :eek:
    GRR contrary to popular belief, I can a nice person

*reminds you that she bought you ice cream =P*

ReputationRep:
    Pah don't try and put me off =P I want to be reassured! :mad:
    You'll be fine, I know quite a few people who've been and everyones loved it.

I think Camp America will sort all the bank stuff out, its a big organisation so they'll be used to dealing with it and making it all above board etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    You'll be fine, I know quite a few people who've been and everyones loved it.

I think Camp America will sort all the bank stuff out, its a big organisation so they'll be used to dealing with it and making it all above board etc
    I'd imagine that too, considering so many people apply -and- get accepted and not everyone here has a social security number etc. Thank you, again.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever applied for this? If so, rejected/accepted...any experiences? I'm getting an interview at some point and wanted to know the 'ins and outs' so to speak.

Have applied, have been accepted! interview was a breeze! theres an initial payout tho, you have to take some money to the interview with you how much is dependant on when you apply!! Theres other payments after that too once you have been accepted! Also remember you dont get paid by camp america until the end of the 9 weeks!

sure you'll be fine hunny!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammmason)
    Have applied, have been accepted! interview was a breeze! theres an initial payout tho, you have to take some money to the interview with you how much is dependant on when you apply!! Theres other payments after that too once you have been accepted! Also remember you dont get paid by camp america until the end of the 9 weeks!

sure you'll be fine hunny!!
    I applied online so it was much cheaper...only £20 first payment! I'm afraid i'll get rejected because I don't have much experience with kids, or many special 'skills' yanno. I figured there's no loss in trying. And thanks for the information If you had any experiences you'd like to share, the work, the kids...etc etc, i'd really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    How much is the pay? i was training as a nursery nurse before i went to uni and i'd love to do something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    How much is the pay? i was training as a nursery nurse before i went to uni and i'd love to do something like that.
    You should definitely go for it It's not really good pay for nine weeks (depending on duties, anything from $600 to $1100, which is less than £600, but your flight to NY, accommodation, food etc is all paid for.

ReputationRep:
    I applied online so it was much cheaper...only £20 first payment! I'm afraid i'll get rejected because I don't have much experience with kids, or many special 'skills' yanno. I figured there's no loss in trying. And thanks for the information If you had any experiences you'd like to share, the work, the kids...etc etc, i'd really appreciate it.
    you dont have to have experience for kids or too many skills to be honest. They are looking for individuals who are motivated, willing to learn and take new opportunities and be patient with the children! The kids arnt guna know you so they will do 1 of 2 things, either get lary and find that it doesnt work or be great and find it does! In your interview dont act like your nervous, remember your guna be going to another country where the chances of you knowing anyone will be slim. act confident in your interview and start as you mean to go on! there is no reason why you cant kick arse and do it!! lol Be confident in yourself and you'll shine!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.