Northumbria VS University of Glasgow (MSc psychology Conversion Course)

Watch
MarinaAndreoli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there.

I would appreciate assistance in choosing between University of Glasgow and University of Northumbria for a career in psychology.

While Glasgow is highly respected, it seems Northumbria is climbing the ranks among younger universities. Northumbria is half the price of Glasgow- and I’m wondering if it’s due to its ‘young’ rep. Both provide BPS accredited education; with similar core modules.

Glasgow provides an extra 6 months of what looks like more specialized modules.

My question is: is it absolutely necessary to spend double on the masters phase of this academic journey which is likely to be followed by a PHD?
Last edited by MarinaAndreoli; 1 week ago
missgilou
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suggest you join the Northumbria Psychology distant learning group on Facebook, there have been a lot of criticisms of the course, no teachers, poor materials, I had accepted an offer but now thinking I'll change to Coventry.

Northumbria only began online a couple of years ago and are accepting hundreds of people each year, I don't think you can give the students the attention they need if you operate like that, esp when fees are nearly the same as doing an in-person degree on campus.
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Glasgow is much better than Northumbria. This is your future you are investing in.
SamusUK131
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Northumbria is an awful university. Those lecturers have over 600 students on one module. It's a big money maker. as many bottoms on chairs as they can get. When we were there 3 people have a share one computer screen.
MarinaAndreoli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Thank you for your replies and tips. This is very concerning. Could you tell me what you know about Coventry and why it seems like a better option?
Nico24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
Hello, I’m in the same situation. I have an offer from Northumbria but have applied to a few other university’s including Glasgow. I’m just waiting to hear back. I am on the Facebook groups for Northumbria and yes, there is a lot of negative comments which is really putting me off. I really like the look of Glasgow’s programme and reputation, it’s twice the price of Northumbria but as someone mentioned above, we are investing into our futures. If I get an offer from Glasgow I think I’ll go for it, on their website it states that due to COVID there is a 20% discount
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.21%
Virtual campus tours/open days (101)
23.01%
Live streaming events (39)
8.88%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (42)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (101)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (98)
22.32%