dropped out due to mental health reasons- how can i get my funding back?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hey everyone,

i hope someone can help.

basically, i've been to uni twice- and both times dropped out due to poor mental health.

i'm 23 now, i've been doing really well and would like to go back to finish my studies. however, as i've been to uni twice i can't receive funding for one of the years.

I have "undiagnosed" ADD, which is basically my way of saying I have an unofficial diagnosis from my counsellor, who i've been seeing on and off for 3 years. i never received a medical diagnosis as i simply don't know how to go about it.

the first time i went to uni, i was dealing with very severe mental health problems, and tried to reach out at a MH service on campus, i remember filling out a form and describing my problem but ultimately nothing came of it but i was also too anxious and ashamed to chase it so not the uni's fault really.

in an attempt to get an ADD diagnosis to help out with my studies, i did go to the gp there but nothing came of it. that was 3/4 years ago, and i haven't been to the gp since and i'm even still registered there!

i've gotten in touch with my first uni to see if they have any records of my visits. i was also thinking of getting in touch with my counsellor, to see if she can also vouch for my rubbish mental health, or do i need a proper doctors note? kicking myself for my fear of the gp.

any thoughts on what else i can do?

thank you in advance.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m confused as to what a doctors note would do for you...
I don’t think you’ll be awarded the extra funding no matter what you say the reason for dropping out was.
Your best bet would be to save up and apply for disable students allowance to help you get by
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
I don’t think you’ll be awarded the extra funding no matter what you say the reason for dropping out was.
Your best bet would be to save up and apply for disable students allowance to help you get by
if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out, for example MH reasons, bereavement etc. you can be awarded extra funding! just for extra info i would be with SLC wales as i'm welsh- although don't think there's too much of a difference these days.

tbf i've kinda made my peace with having to save up, i feel committed enough to do that. but ideally i could just get one more year of funding now that i'm well enough to get back to my studies.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
i found a link if you're interested
https://www.studentfinancewales.co.u...-students.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.42%
No (608)
50.58%

Watched Threads