Retake year 12 or do a foundation course at university?

Watch
lilycgbcd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hey everyone, so I really need some advice on what to do. I currently take Sociology, Psychology and Health and social care for A levels in year 12 and I am predicted AB and then a Distinction for Health and Social. When I chose my A levels I just did them based on what I liked on GCSE and what I thought looked interesting - I didn’t have any idea what I wanted to do University wise. However, the past couple of weeks I have been really thinking about courses like Physiotherapy, Dietetics and some others but they need biology A level. I got a grade 6 in biology for GCSE, so I could have potentially chose it for A level. My sixth form actually let people retake year 12 and change subjects due to the current circumstances, but what do you guys think is best? Retaking year 12 or entering uni on a foundation course? Thank you
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by lilycgbcd)
Hey everyone, so I really need some advice on what to do. I currently take Sociology, Psychology and Health and social care for A levels in year 12 and I am predicted AB and then a Distinction for Health and Social. When I chose my A levels I just did them based on what I liked on GCSE and what I thought looked interesting - I didn’t have any idea what I wanted to do University wise. However, the past couple of weeks I have been really thinking about courses like Physiotherapy, Dietetics and some others but they need biology A level. I got a grade 6 in biology for GCSE, so I could have potentially chose it for A level. My sixth form actually let people retake year 12 and change subjects due to the current circumstances, but what do you guys think is best? Retaking year 12 or entering uni on a foundation course? Thank you
Foundation years are generally a waste of money. You should also consider taking A-level biology during a gap year.
lilycgbcd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Foundation years are generally a waste of money. You should also consider taking A-level biology during a gap year.
Oh that sounds good! I might actually consider that thank you!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by lilycgbcd)
Hey lilycgbcd,

It's great to hear you're interested in Dietetics or Physiotherapy! I'm a current Dietetic Student, if you have any questions you'd like to ask

As both options are viable, which do you feel most comfortable doing?
Retaking year 12 would be beneficial for you if you're interested in taking A-Level Biology. Doing a foundation year is also useful as the course is usually around one academic year in length so you'd go straight into your chosen course after applying. Doing a foundation course gives you a snapshot into higher education and gives you an understanding of your field of interest.
It depends on how long you want to be studying before studying the course you want to study. Personally, I'd study A-Level Biology as the course is able to open up many other options for you if you change your mind about Physiotherapy/Dietetics.

I hope this helps

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (395)
32.35%
No (826)
67.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise