Juniring
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
When looking at the BA Modern Languages at the University of Birmingham, I see that they require three A-Levels.

One of them has got to be the target language (Spanish). That makes sense... but what about the other two? Can I take ANY A-level or BTEC? Why is this even a thing? Shouldn't an A-Level in Spanish be enough? Any insight would be appreciated!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
On the course page it states clearly that they will accept :
BTEC Extended Diploma: DDM, plus a B at A-level in the required subject/s mentioned above.
BTEC Diploma: DD, plus a B at A-level in the required subject/s mentioned above.
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma: D, plus AB at A-level, including the required subject/s mentioned above.

Where only one required subject is mentioned, then the other subjects are open - they can be any subject.
But, if you think about the reality of doing a language degree, you will study Spanish culture/literature as well as the language, and you will write essays/read texts. Therefore any 'essay based' subject especially History or Literature will be useful.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Juniring)
When looking at the BA Modern Languages at the University of Birmingham, I see that they require three A-Levels.

One of them has got to be the target language (Spanish). That makes sense... but what about the other two? Can I take ANY A-level or BTEC? Why is this even a thing? Shouldn't an A-Level in Spanish be enough? Any insight would be appreciated!
Which A Levels are you taking or hoping to take yourself?
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Juniring)

Hi Juniring,

We accept a range of qualifications including BTEC. In terms of the other subjects for your A level/BTEC qualifications, we don't specify any particular subjects. Essay based subjects might be useful for you in terms of developing your skillset, but this is in no way required, so you should just opt for the subjects you feel you will enjoy and do well in.

The three A level requirement is an institutional standard, as we want to make sure our students are well rounded and prepared for the academically rigorous nature of degree level study.

I hope this helps, but if you have any more questions let me know. - Molly
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As indicated it's standard for unis to require students to have done a "full academic workload" in 6th form before going to uni. Bear in mind on a languages degree you won't be spending all your time learning the language, but also studying the literature, history, politics and culture of countries speaking the target language. So you do also need to have good general academic skills in critical thinking, research skills, revision and exam taking ability etc. Some essay writing background may also be helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads