The Student Room Group

How is everyone feeling about Boris announcement?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I’m a cynical lady. I knew this was coming.
Original post by mnot
Room for cautious optimism.

Basically not a lot really changes till April, even then it will be a very slow opening up.

If over the next 12 weeks we can get to 30 million people with at least 1 dose then theoretically roughly 2/3s of UK adults will have be inoculated.

This seems like a slow & steady opening up, I think it’s clear a lot has been put into balancing risk & liberty. No one really knows what the future has in stock but this seems to be the most sensible opening up plan we’ve had yet.

Yeah your probably right, tho tbh I’m not sure if opening the schools so soon is the best idea! But the rest of the plan I do think sounds good it’s just it seems so’s strange to me rn that in 4 months time things could be normal do u get me?
Original post by Megabat
This is the reason I am pessimistic, as optimistics are often left disappointed. I do not believe everything will return to its former state by July, it is merely wishful thinking. There will be a fourth and possibly a fifth lockdown, so I doubt things will return to normal within a matter of months.

Yeah I really can’t imagine it happening either but to be honest even if it did I don’t think I’d feel comfortable being in big groups of people so soon anyways!
Dont agree with opening schools but keeping the rest of the country in lockdown, didnt work in november so seems futile now.
Original post by Notnek
Boris said "Data not Dates" and then proceeds to give us a load of dates :dontknow:

Exactly haha!! People are taking these dates to be the exact dates too when it’s supposed to be a rough plan!
Original post by BitMel
I just dont believe it will be back to normal by then tbh. I believe they'll change their mind or something.

Me too!!! I just really can’t see it happening
Original post by CoolCavy
Dont agree with opening schools but keeping the rest of the country in lockdown, didnt work in november so seems futile now.

Yes!! Cases always peak when schools open and I just find it so sad you can go to school but not meet family!!
I’m with you on that one!
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
Yes!! Cases always peak when schools open and I just find it so sad you can go to school but not meet family!!

yep when schools open cases open so i think that could possibly stop it from happening or something else. It will be like Christmas when he took back his promise, but worse lol
Optimistic.
Mr Johnson and his team are carefully rebuilding normality one step at a time. Everything changed when the vaccines came on stream.
Feel like numbers are going to take off again, just like last time

Imagine if the borders had been closed and we stayed in lockdown a little longer in June/July, when it was like 500 new cases a day. Could have been eradicated, but boris and his crew seem to wanna keep the suspense going
Reply 32
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I really can’t imagine it happening either but to be honest even if it did I don’t think I’d feel comfortable being in big groups of people so soon anyways!

Neither would I. Possibly everything will return to normal one day though, but perhaps this is the turning point of something new.
Can't help but be pessimistic, but with the vaccine being distributed and people hopefully being a bit less stupid (hey, each round of lockdown has to help smarten up the population about COVID to some extent, right?) we might see a longer reprieve than previously, perhaps even long enough to reach into summer, where rising temperatures/etc will likely help to stem virus spread somewhat. Although mixing/etc might screen that effect completely, I'm afraid.
Original post by BitMel
yep when schools open cases open so i think that could possibly stop it from happening or something else. It will be like Christmas when he took back his promise, but worse lol

Yes I can just tell once people get let down they won’t like it at all, I have a feeling it will actually make them go against his rules also! But I could be wrong
Original post by V℮rsions
Optimistic.

Agreed!!
Original post by the bear
Mr Johnson and his team are carefully rebuilding normality one step at a time. Everything changed when the vaccines came on stream.

I hope your right but just a couple things I don’t agree with! Yes true, tho I’m 19 and I really wouldnt want to take the vaccine as they think it may affect vertility and I don’t want to risk that:frown:
Original post by Bumble18
Feel like numbers are going to take off again, just like last time

Imagine if the borders had been closed and we stayed in lockdown a little longer in June/July, when it was like 500 new cases a day. Could have been eradicated, but boris and his crew seem to wanna keep the suspense going

I agree, I just think it’ll be worse than before Tbh.
Honestly why they didn’t close to borders is beyond me it’s so silly? It’s an obvious way to stop the virus more??
Original post by Megabat
Neither would I. Possibly everything will return to normal one day though, but perhaps this is the turning point of something new.

I do believe things will be normal again I just think it won’t be this year (or it shouldn’t)
Original post by Callicious
Can't help but be pessimistic, but with the vaccine being distributed and people hopefully being a bit less stupid (hey, each round of lockdown has to help smarten up the population about COVID to some extent, right?) we might see a longer reprieve than previously, perhaps even long enough to reach into summer, where rising temperatures/etc will likely help to stem virus spread somewhat. Although mixing/etc might screen that effect completely, I'm afraid.

I’m 19 and I’m not keen to take the vaccine as they don’t know if it can be Affect vertility and I don’t want to risk that:frown: personally the people I know have only got worse throughout the lockdowns I’ve actually stopped being friends with so many people because it angers me the way they act!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending