The Student Room Group

HNC engineering help

I'm doing HNC/D Mech Engineering. i was looking for help on this question i have answered but am sure is incorrect.

One of your commonly-used laboratory instantaneous test signal voltages (vs) is
described by the equation…

Vs = 6sin(2pift - (pi/4))

where f = 1MHz and t represents time.
Make time (t) the subject of this formula, and hence determine the first point in time when
the instantaneous signal voltage has a magnitude of +3V.

I've rearranged the formula thus t = sin(3/6)+(pi/4) / 2pi(1.10^6) = 2.013 x 10^-7

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, you forgot to take the arcsin of both sides while rearranging to make time t the subject. From the plot, the X refers to the first point in time when Vs = 3V
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
02EB8A42-A49A-49EE-8609-D6164FC63423.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by EmberPlayer
Hi, you forgot to take the arcsin of both sides while rearranging to make time t the subject. From the plot, the X refers to the first point in time when Vs = 3V
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
02EB8A42-A49A-49EE-8609-D6164FC63423.jpeg

i understand this now thanks for that, the second part of the question asks me to make a graph like yours but im not sure if i am inputting it right into the software.
Original post by shaun1702
i understand this now thanks for that, the second part of the question asks me to make a graph like yours but im not sure if i am inputting it right into the software.

What software are you using?
Reply 4
I'm doing HNC/D Mech Engineering. i was looking for help on this question i have answered but am sure is incorrect.

One of your commonly-used laboratory instantaneous test signal voltages (vs) is
described by the equation…

Vs = 6sin(2pift - (pi/4))

where f = 1MHz and t represents time.
Make time (t) the subject of this formula, and hence determine the first point in time when
the instantaneous signal voltage has a magnitude of +3V.

I've rearranged the formula thus t = sin(3/6)+(pi/4) / 2pi(1.10^6) = 2.013 x 10^-7

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

i have done this bit now, but i don't know how to make a visual ie put the information into a the graph software
Reply 5

its call graph
Reply 6
Original post by EmberPlayer
What software are you using?

i have attached a screenshot of the software
i have attached a screenshot of the software

I’m not personally familiar with that particular software, however I’d imagine all you need to do is change the function f(x) to equal 6*sin((2*pi*1*(10^6)*x) - (pi/4))
Ive done the working outs but the figure im getting is 0.29 on the graph. When I worked it out I got 2.0833x10^-7 im confused shouldnt they be the same result.
Reply 9
Original post by MCCORMHEAD
Ive done the working outs but the figure im getting is 0.29 on the graph. When I worked it out I got 2.0833x10^-7 im confused shouldnt they be the same result.

hi, did you manage to get it in the end? im stuck on the same question now, ive been on this for days trying to work out what to input into Graph
Any update on this?

Quick Reply

Latest