something_orphic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I applied for German and politics at Cardiff and German and International Politics at Aberystwyth. This is probably my 100th thread on this now, i just cannot make my mind up for a firm choice(sorry guys). So initially i thought Cardiff because the course was more appealing to me, there the city is nice, they seemed friendly in the department. But it ranks a lot worse than Aber for politics. Plus i saw some reviews about other people who had taken a language and politics at Cardiff saying they felt the support was lacking quite a bit for their course. I am also not very outgoing and have already been warned quite a bit not to go.

Aberystwyth's teaching would be a lot better (it is rated TEF Gold whereas Cardiff is TEF Silver) with smaller class sizes etc.. I looked up the salary for both unis for the courses i applied to and theres only really 1-2k difference.

My concerns about Aber are just that it is quite isolated really although i like the idea of the beach and it being next to snowdonia. I just feel bored in my own small area though and idk how i would feel moving to another small area although Aber would be a bit more entertaining than where i live atm

I also idk if i should consider Swansea more.

Basically what i am asking is does the department or the university as a whole matter more.
Last edited by something_orphic; 1 week ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How to Choose Firm and Insurance - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

Ultimately this choice is up to you - no-one else can make it for you.
You have until mid-June to make this decision so there is lots of time.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
I applied for German and politics at Cardiff and German and International Politics at Aberystwyth. This is probably my 100th thread on this now, i just cannot make my mind up for a firm choice(sorry guys). So initially i thought Cardiff because the course was more appealing to me, there the city is nice, they seemed friendly in the department. But it ranks a lot worse than Aber for politics. Plus i saw some reviews about other people who had taken a language and politics at Cardiff saying they felt the support was lacking quite a bit for their course. I am also not very outgoing and have already been warned quite a bit not to go.

Aberystwyth's teaching would be a lot better (it is rated TEF Gold whereas Cardiff is TEF Silver) with smaller class sizes etc.. I looked up the salary for both unis for the courses i applied to and theres only really 1-2k difference.

My concerns about Aber are just that it is quite isolated really although i like the idea of the beach and it being next to snowdonia. I just feel bored in my own small area though and idk how i would feel moving to another small area although Aber would be a bit more entertaining than where i live atm

I also idk if i should consider Swansea more.

Basically what i am asking is does the department or the university as a whole matter more.
It is impossible for anyone to answer this. What one person likes is anothers dislike. Given where you come from all will be quite difficult to get to but Aber more so.

Cardiff is a university in a biggish city. I think it is the 11th biggest in the UK. The campus is a short walk from the city but much of its accommodation is some distance walk away.

Swansea is a bit smaller. It is a campus university and directly opposite the sea. It is about 2 miles out of the city centre. It has accommodation on campus, in the student village 2 miles away and on the other newer campus 5 miles away depending on which accommodation you choose. It wont feel like you are in the city especially for the first year wherever you stay. It is surrounded on 3 sides by a huge park and is over the road from the sea.

Aberystwyth is a small town smaller than Falmouth or Truro. The university is on a hill overlooking the town. It is a nice town but quite small. It is quite difficult to get to. By train you would need to go to Birmingham and get a train across. By car you would travel along the M4 past Swansea then go up country from Carmarthen.

Really you need to wait and not make a decision now. The likelyhood is in Wales tourism is likely to be open in April so you might be able to visit. In the meantime here are some videos to give you some ideas.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?
q=aberyswyth+student+videos&doci d=608030192872262955&mid=980A0CC 87F392BA1AA37980A0CC87F392BA1AA3 7&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%