do patients parents need to be involved when getting a diagnosis for a mental illness

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
when getting a diagnosis for a mental disorder, do the patients parents need to be involved at all for over 18 years olds?
bc im trying to get a ADHD diagnosis and ive read that the doctors might need to speak to my parents and even schools about my adhd. can this be avided at all bc my parents wont even let me get a diagnosis at all but i still will book an appointment. im just scared theyll have to speak to my family about it. also is this for ADHD only or for other mental illnesses?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
when getting a diagnosis for a mental disorder, do the patients parents need to be involved at all for over 18 years olds?
bc im trying to get a ADHD diagnosis and ive read that the doctors might need to speak to my parents and even schools about my adhd. can this be avided at all bc my parents wont even let me get a diagnosis at all but i still will book an appointment. im just scared theyll have to speak to my family about it. also is this for ADHD only or for other mental illnesses?
If you're over 18, you're an adult so your parents really shouldn't/couldn't have any say in your medical care/treatment.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
If you're over 18, you're an adult so your parents really shouldn't/couldn't have any say in your medical care/treatment.
okay but ive read for ADHD specifically they need to speak to my parents in order to know about my childhood and stuff to get a diagnosis. bc apparently there has to be long term symptoms of it, like from your childhood and onwards, or you likely dont have it.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
okay but ive read for ADHD specifically they need to speak to my parents in order to know about my childhood and stuff to get a diagnosis. bc apparently there has to be long term symptoms of it, like from your childhood and onwards, or you likely dont have it.
Your best bet is to speak to your GP, as there would be other options in place e.g. what if the person's parent's are deceased? Or estranged from them? I hope you can find answers soon
BunBunMillu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure your GP/the professional giving a diagnosis would be understanding of your circumstances, especially since a good number of people who have mental health difficulties come from complicated backgrounds and might not have the best relationships with their parents, or have any adults from school that they trusted in enough to talk about their mental health with. I'm sure talking to parents helps them out a bit, but that it's not a critical thing needed in order to get a diagnosis. Since you're over the age of 18, I think they can't legally tell your parents anything unless you give express permission to share that information, so there's no harm in going and asking if it can be done without your parents' involvement.

However it goes, good luck with it and I hope you can get the help and support you need!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.4%
No (692)
51.6%

Watched Threads