Rachgriffs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 hours ago
Has anyone got experience of completing the masters programme with Teach First, after completing their PGDE?
Do they fund the masters? How much is involved in terms of essays? Anything would be good to hear.
I am looking to apply with them for their teaching once applications open for 22/23.

Also, can I apply before I get my degree? With a condition of the 2:1? I am currently year 2, so will finish my degree around May/June 2022 and looking at teaching straight away that September, but want to apply to places as early as possible as to not miss out on places. Especially with Teach First, I have children so cannot relocate so would like to be able to get the place in my region and not have the spaces filled already.

Finally, is it around June the applications open?

I am looking at secondary school English.

I also know that many people don’t like Teach First. I am not looking for negativity. I have done my research, I have heard the bad. I have also read the positive experiences.
I cannot afford to do any other route for my ITT. They have removed the bursary for English, which was previously 12k a year. I currently work 3 days a week at 22.5 hours alongside my degree and on top of my student loan which is the maximum maintenance loan. My wage is slightly higher than the bursary that English previously had. I am not eligible for either childcare grants or parents’ learning allowance either (I know, I have seen the criteria and never received in my previous years).
There is no way I can work whilst doing ITT or certainly not enough hours for the income that I need and student finance is not nearly enough. The salaried routes are hard to get on to, especially with little school experience and then the salary is often pro rata to 30 hours, so would drop too much.
With Teach First I would be losing a slight income but it would be manageable.
I also like that they do a PGDE and masters option, which I was looking at the masters after regardless of the ITT route I did.

Thank you if you got this far
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 34 minutes ago
(Original post by Rachgriffs)
Has anyone got experience of completing the masters programme with Teach First, after completing their PGDE?
Do they fund the masters? How much is involved in terms of essays? Anything would be good to hear.
I am looking to apply with them for their teaching once applications open for 22/23.

Also, can I apply before I get my degree? With a condition of the 2:1? I am currently year 2, so will finish my degree around May/June 2022 and looking at teaching straight away that September, but want to apply to places as early as possible as to not miss out on places. Especially with Teach First, I have children so cannot relocate so would like to be able to get the place in my region and not have the spaces filled already.

Finally, is it around June the applications open?

I am looking at secondary school English.

I also know that many people don’t like Teach First. I am not looking for negativity. I have done my research, I have heard the bad. I have also read the positive experiences.
I cannot afford to do any other route for my ITT. They have removed the bursary for English, which was previously 12k a year. I currently work 3 days a week at 22.5 hours alongside my degree and on top of my student loan which is the maximum maintenance loan. My wage is slightly higher than the bursary that English previously had. I am not eligible for either childcare grants or parents’ learning allowance either (I know, I have seen the criteria and never received in my previous years).
There is no way I can work whilst doing ITT or certainly not enough hours for the income that I need and student finance is not nearly enough. The salaried routes are hard to get on to, especially with little school experience and then the salary is often pro rata to 30 hours, so would drop too much.
With Teach First I would be losing a slight income but it would be manageable.
I also like that they do a PGDE and masters option, which I was looking at the masters after regardless of the ITT route I did.

Thank you if you got this far
I don't have much experience with Teach First, but my understanding is that you can't apply until the year you want to teach. My understanding is also that they won't guarantee to offer you a place in your local area?

Have you looked at salaried Schools Direct routes- this would allow you to apply directly to schools for your training and you'd be paid as an unqualified teacher during your training. This isn't intended as negativity about Teach First, it just seems like the salaried route would meet your needs more? You can also get a PGCE/PGDE whilst doing Schools Direct.

I'm not sure about the master's funding though, and if Teach First will fund your full masters, that may be looking into. I'd suggest getting in contact with them to discuss funding.
Rachgriffs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 minutes ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I don't have much experience with Teach First, but my understanding is that you can't apply until the year you want to teach. My understanding is also that they won't guarantee to offer you a place in your local area?

Have you looked at salaried Schools Direct routes- this would allow you to apply directly to schools for your training and you'd be paid as an unqualified teacher during your training. This isn't intended as negativity about Teach First, it just seems like the salaried route would meet your needs more? You can also get a PGCE/PGDE whilst doing Schools Direct.

I'm not sure about the master's funding though, and if Teach First will fund your full masters, that may be looking into. I'd suggest getting in contact with them to discuss funding.
The salaried routes via schools direct ask for the experience within classrooms, often 2 plus years. From many of the posts I have seen, they also pro rata your salary. So although you’re paid as an unqualified teacher (starting pay 18k), this is based on 30 hours, rather than 40 hours, so actually losing some of that salary, which could drop it to around 13.5k which is only very slightly more than my part time job that I have now in addition to my student maintenance loan, so wouldn’t be affordable, even if I did get a place.
Teach First is a salary of around 18k that you get paid, so although still a drop in income for me, it would be manageable.

Teach First do have an option of a higher chance of your area if you have commitments in your current region, such as children or a mortgage.

The chance of my masters is also very appealing as this a route that I would like to take.

I have been reading posts in the thread about the applicants for this year and from what I can see, they opened up the applications sometime last May/June, but just want to see for certain and see if I can apply with a predicted grade of 2:1 or higher.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (198)
29.2%
No (480)
70.8%

Watched Threads