will i lose weight in the uk?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hello! i'm an international student planning on going to uni in scotland; i'm coming from america. i weigh 125lbs and am 5'3". i am wondering whether or not i'm likely to lose weight in the uk? i've struggled with my weight for most of my life, and i'm hoping that i can change my lifestyle and lose weight. have there been other americans who have gone to the uk and lost weight?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moving country will make no difference, you can only lose weight by changing up your diet and exercising properly.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Calorie deficit is needed to lose weight regardless where you are in the world.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. Moving countries does not affect your weight. That's a decision you have to make yourself. Being a U.S American does not excuse obesity.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hello! i'm an international student planning on going to uni in scotland; i'm coming from america. i weigh 125lbs and am 5'3". i am wondering whether or not i'm likely to lose weight in the uk? i've struggled with my weight for most of my life, and i'm hoping that i can change my lifestyle and lose weight. have there been other americans who have gone to the uk and lost weight?
don't rely on the US, you'll most likely become a fatty.
beneficialgirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And I’ll turn into Jennifer Lopez when I move to Puerto Rico
Anonymous #1
okay i just wanted to specify something; i'm not saying that moving countries is ensured weight loss, and weight loss certainly isn't the main motivation for moving countries. i am not obese, nor am i unfit and lazy.
i have struggled with my weight, but 57kg is the most i've ever weighed. i want to lose weight, i am wondering if moving countries and having access to healthier food will possibly lead to weight loss and if other americans have lost weight whilst studying abroad. thank you all for your posts up until this point, i hope this clears up my initial post.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your thought process makes no sense. You can lead a healthier life in the US, there is plenty of healthy food available.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
okay i just wanted to specify something; i'm not saying that moving countries is ensured weight loss, and weight loss certainly isn't the main motivation for moving countries. i am not obese, nor am i unfit and lazy.
i have struggled with my weight, but 57kg is the most i've ever weighed. i want to lose weight, i am wondering if moving countries and having access to healthier food will possibly lead to weight loss and if other americans have lost weight whilst studying abroad. thank you all for your posts up until this point, i hope this clears up my initial post.
I get where you’re coming from - the food culture is different here, portions are significantly smaller on average etc so I guess it makes sense to say it may be easier. However, it will still require work and will likely not happen naturally. Also your weight is normal for your height and age so please don’t use unhealthy weight loss methods - a balanced diet and regular exercise will get you feeling more confident about yourself
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Your thought process makes no sense. You can lead a healthier life in the US, there is plenty of healthy food available.
my apologies, i'll try to be more clear with my thought process. here is where my thought process started. i've had friends who have studied abroad in a variety of countries; one of my friends who studied in south korea ended up losing 20lbs because she had access to a larger campus, was forced to walk more, and had access to more nutritious/less fatty food. my friend who studied abroad in madrid ended up gaining 15+lbs. my friend who moved to america from china ended up gaining 15+lbs because of america's larger portion sizes, easy snack foods, less accessible city structure, etc.

you certainly can lose weight in the u.s., and i have (ultimately gaining it back though). living with my family has made it difficult. hopefully living on my own and buying my own food that will ultimately help me. i wanted to know if moving abroad would affect me like my friends who moved to korea or madrid, and i appreciate all the insight into how much of an intrinsic journey it is. thank you all for your help, i will work to improve my lifestyle choices since what i'm currently doing isn't working.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my apologies, i'll try to be more clear with my thought process. here is where my thought process started. i've had friends who have studied abroad in a variety of countries; one of my friends who studied in south korea ended up losing 20lbs because she had access to a larger campus, was forced to walk more, and had access to more nutritious/less fatty food. my friend who studied abroad in madrid ended up gaining 15+lbs. my friend who moved to america from china ended up gaining 15+lbs because of america's larger portion sizes, easy snack foods, less accessible city structure, etc.

you certainly can lose weight in the u.s., and i have (ultimately gaining it back though). living with my family has made it difficult. hopefully living on my own and buying my own food that will ultimately help me. i wanted to know if moving abroad would affect me like my friends who moved to korea or madrid, and i appreciate all the insight into how much of an intrinsic journey it is. thank you all for your help, i will work to improve my lifestyle choices since what i'm currently doing isn't working.
No. It still takes the same amount of effort and motivation to lose weight no matter where you run off to.
Moving out and buying your own food would be helpful, but you dont need to study internationally.
here2helps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
maybe, I mean portions in restaurants and and when ppl cook for you might be smaller. there's probly less sugar and fat in pre made meals, confectionary and takeaways. I think there's a chance just the geographic change could help you
Anonymous #1
No. It still takes the same amount of effort and motivation to lose weight no matter where you run off to.
Moving out and buying your own food would be helpful, but you dont need to study internationally.
for sure, i was certainly thinking a little idealistically. studying internationally was already in the books for me so weight loss is not my main motivation. living alone and having access to a gym should certainly help thank you for replying to this thread and giving me a bit of a reality check. i appreciate it x
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
You can also lead a healthy life in the UK, we have less obese people here...
Anonymous #1
I get where you’re coming from - the food culture is different here, portions are significantly smaller on average etc so I guess it makes sense to say it may be easier. However, it will still require work and will likely not happen naturally. Also your weight is normal for your height and age so please don’t use unhealthy weight loss methods - a balanced diet and regular exercise will get you feeling more confident about yourself
thank you for being so kind in your response! i'm hoping that i can lose weight in a healthy way and retain the loss. this thread has been a good wake up call though haha
politicspro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I got your point. I live in the Brazilian capital. I buy my food by apps though there are fine markets near 300 meters from my apartment. Also, I always go to work by car or uber. With this lifestyle, I can only lose weight with a strict low-carb diet and some exercise 3 times a week.
In 2017, I spent one month studying English at Canterbury/UK. There, I stayed in university accommodation and had to walk 2km every day to school. Also, another km between the school and its refectory. On days when I went to my flat after school, more 3km walking to the refectory again. Even with a worse diet than the one I followed in Brazil (not a bad diet, what I mean is that in the UK I ate more carbs and proteins with more fat than I used to), I lost 2kg and felt my thigh muscles more strong in just 1 month living there.

So, if your lifestyle is comparable to mine, I think would be easier for you to lose weight in the UK.
politicspro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by politicspro)
I got your point. I live in the Brazilian capital. I buy my food by apps though there are fine markets near 300 meters from my apartment. Also, I always go to work by car or uber. With this lifestyle, I can only lose weight with a strict low-carb diet and some exercise 3 times a week.
In 2017, I spent one month studying English at Canterbury/UK. There, I stayed in university accommodation and had to walk 2km every day to school. Also, another km between the school and its refectory. On days when I went to my flat after school, more 3km walking to the refectory again. Even with a worse diet than the one I followed in Brazil (not a bad diet, what I mean is that in the UK I ate more carbs and proteins with more fat than I used to), I lost 2kg and felt my thigh muscles more strong in just 1 month living there.

So, if your lifestyle is comparable to mine, I think would be easier for you to lose weight in the UK.
I also want to add that I ate in several restaurants, drunk alcohol 2x a week and became a truly fan of "cream tea" (I ate that like 5 days per week)
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
you won't lose weight in the UK unless you change your eating habits tbh. the food is essentially the same, and you probably won't be walking long hours to get to uni. why you think you need to lose weight tho is a bit weird tbh. you're normal size.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
I understand where you're coming from OP - I think it's primarily living on your own that can make a real difference. Even though I've never been overweight, I struggled with food at home, as I come from a family where I wasn't allowed to cook for myself, not finishing meals was frowned upon, and generally food was on the unhealthy side. To people saying you can eat the way you want: sure, you can, and it's not like I was force-fed, but challenging my family's relationship to food always came with so many arguments and so much drama (not to mention flat out refusals) that I couldn't really put up much resistance. As soon as I moved to uni my relationship to food changed for the better; I could buy healthy stuff, eat as much or as little as I wanted, and I finally became a vegetarian, something I'd wanted for years but my family hadn't allowed. I don't know what the OP's situation is like, but I do think that living on your own can make it a lot easier to lose weight or eat healthier.
StephRadriguez
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Like others have said, losing weight has nothing to do with where you live, but everything to do with your diet and exercise routine. Although American culture is very reliant on fast food, it's not impossible to be healthy in the Unites States, just like it's not impossible to be unhealthy elsewhere. Although being the UK won't force you to lose weight, a change of scenery might help give you the motivation you need to put the effort in to get healthy. The most important thing you can do is eat a healthy diet, so I recommend starting out by just prioritizing healthy foods, and staying away from/eliminating bad foods. Some examples of good foods to eat would be fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc., while foods to stay away from would be junk food, fast food, and fried food. I personally needed help from a professional when I was trying to lose weight, which is why I started a nutrition program: https://www.openfit.com/openfit-nutrition/

Although dieting is most important when it comes to losing weight, exercise will help you physically, but also mentally, by encouraging you to continue eating healthy. There are tons of different ways to exercise, and everyone will tell you what the "best" way to do it is, but nothing matters more than whether you enjoy it or not. If the exercise is not enjoyable to you, you will be less likely to do it, or put your full effort into it. This is why people that get bored by running and lifting, should find something that they find fun, like playing basketball or swimming. I personally started doing at-home workouts once quarantine started, since all of the gyms were closed, and it's the most enjoyable exercise I've ever done my entire life. I'm currently doing this 4 week program that's designed to kick you into shape, which might be good for someone in your situation: https://www.openfit.com/plans/4-weeks-of-focus/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (623)
48.86%
No (652)
51.14%

Watched Threads