GCSE option choices - what are you choosing

Watch
c.o.r.a
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know a lot of Year 9s are choosing GCSE options right now, or have already done so recently and I was wondering what you've chosen or are thinking of choosing (and why, if you want to share)
ccthebella
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by c.o.r.a)
I know a lot of Year 9s are choosing GCSE options right now, or have already done so recently and I was wondering what you've chosen or are thinking of choosing (and why, if you want to share)
Hi! My option form needs to be submitted in 3 days, and i was thinking of taking mandarin, history, geography, art and for my backups: french and computer science. Currently I am doing quite well in all my studies. I know that the subjects I am taking are time consuming and will require a lot of work, but I am prepared to work hard. However, I'm worried that art will be too stressful, that it will take too much time, and that it will affect my other subjects. Do you or does anybody have any advice from their experiences for me? Also, when I'm older, I want to be an architect or a doctor, so taking a creative subject will hopefully be useful! Thanks
Last edited by ccthebella; 1 week ago
c.o.r.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by ccthebella)
Hi! My option form needs to be submitted in 3 days, and i was thinking of taking mandarin, history, geography, art and for my backups: french and computer science. Currently I am doing quite well in all my studies. I know that the subjects I am taking are time consuming and will require a lot of work, but I am prepared to work hard. However, I'm worried that art will be too stressful, that it will take too much time, and that it will affect my other subjects. Do you or does anybody have any advice from their experiences for me? Also, when I'm older, I want to be an architect or a doctor, so taking a creative subject will hopefully be useful! Thanks
From what I have heard (and seen) DT, Art and Drama are quite time consuming, however, if you enjoy any of those subjects, it's so worth it. If you don't particularly like Art, it probably isn't worth it, but if you like the subject, it will be enjoyable. Challenging, but enjoyable and hopefully rewarding at the end of the day.
og-icon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I have submitted my options too, I chose triple science, business studies, history, religious studies and a language The reason why I picked business it is because it is really easy and interesting too, my older sister did it and I have all the resources she made like flashcards and that, History because it is really interesting and I really like writing too so I thought a essay based subject would be good, I actually really want to be a doctor so I want to do medicine and so I need really good grades, I am taking 10 GCSEs and I am aiming for 2 grade 9s, 3 grade 8s and 3 7s at least If i get these grades I will be pretty happy xx
ccthebella
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From what I have heard (and seen) DT, Art and Drama are quite time consuming, however, if you enjoy any of those subjects, it's so worth it. If you don't particularly like Art, it probably isn't worth it, but if you like the subject, it will be enjoyable. Challenging, but enjoyable and hopefully rewarding at the end of the day.
I do really enjoy art, and i want to learn more techniques, so hopefully taking art will be useful. Also, its my only creative subject, so it will be a break from my other heavy academic subjects.
thanks x
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey

I submitted mine last week! I chose Latin, CC, geography and computer science. History and DT are my back ups. I’m hoping to go back to doing lots of extra curriculars soon too.
const_zzz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am struggling between IGCSE Geog, BTEC level 2 Music, and GCSE AQA Psychology.

I am personally more a Math-Science person (planning to do Computer Science and Further Maths), so I have no ideas what to choose (sigh)
Anthony Ogundele
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have to do triple science, Maths and both English subjects. I will pick History, Religious education, Spanish, Economics and will have Geography as a back-up.

Btw my school makes us do higher in everything possible which I would have done anyways if we didn't have to.
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anthony Ogundele)
I have to do triple science, Maths and both English subjects. I will pick History, Religious education, Spanish, Economics and will have Geography as a back-up.

Btw my school makes us do higher in everything possible which I would have done anyways if we didn't have to.
Yh my skl makes us do higher. Like u said I would have done that anyway tho. I think most skls near me make the majority of not all the pupils do higher too
c.o.r.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by og-icon)
Hi, I have submitted my options too, I chose triple science, business studies, history, religious studies and a language The reason why I picked business it is because it is really easy and interesting too, my older sister did it and I have all the resources she made like flashcards and that, History because it is really interesting and I really like writing too so I thought a essay based subject would be good, I actually really want to be a doctor so I want to do medicine and so I need really good grades, I am taking 10 GCSEs and I am aiming for 2 grade 9s, 3 grade 8s and 3 7s at least If i get these grades I will be pretty happy xx
Ooh nice! Good luck on achieving those grades!
c.o.r.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anthony Ogundele)

Same we have to do higher
c.o.r.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by const_zzz)
I am struggling between IGCSE Geog, BTEC level 2 Music, and GCSE AQA Psychology.

I am personally more a Math-Science person (planning to do Computer Science and Further Maths), so I have no ideas what to choose (sigh)
My friend did psych and she said it was really good, but at the end of the day, do what you love!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (74)
11.82%
Virtual campus tours/open days (153)
24.44%
Live streaming events (51)
8.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (57)
9.11%
A uni comparison tool (146)
23.32%
An in-person event when available (145)
23.16%