Deadlift tips please im desperate

Watch
deadlift_noob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have started deadlifting, I avoided it because I was scared of injuries but I am learning the form and feel more confident doing so and enjoy it very much. The current numbers were taken from my first time ever deadlifting and will be investing in a belt soon to help me more.

My current 1 rep max is 100kg/220lbs and my working sets are 40kg/88lbs for 5. These are not that impressive and I want to build upon this. Are there any rep ranges that would help build strength? And how many sets should I aim for and how many times a week? Any help is appreciated
molly_douglas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! I have been weightlifting for probably around two years now and I have also avoided deadlifts for a long time as I always feel that I’m not doing them correctly as I don’t tend to feel my leg muscles working, more so my arms/back.

However, I did them for the first time last week and I did 55kg for 10 reps. Regarding building up strength, I would advise you to work a lot on your glutes, I personally do squats, hip thrusts and ball squats every time I train legs to work my glutes.

Please keep in mind that I’m far from an expert and this is just what I do when I weightlift!
Calibrated.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by deadlift_noob)
So I have started deadlifting, I avoided it because I was scared of injuries but I am learning the form and feel more confident doing so and enjoy it very much. The current numbers were taken from my first time ever deadlifting and will be investing in a belt soon to help me more.

My current 1 rep max is 100kg/220lbs and my working sets are 40kg/88lbs for 5. These are not that impressive and I want to build upon this. Are there any rep ranges that would help build strength? And how many sets should I aim for and how many times a week? Any help is appreciated
Look for tried and tested linear progression strength programmes. GZCLP or Greyskull LP are the ones I would recommend.

I would recommend Brian Alsruhe's series on deadlifting. Alan Thrall has multiple videos on deadlifting technique.

Calgary Barbell and Stefi Cohen have good guides if you pull sumo.
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's really all in the starting position and the brace. Any of the programs and guides linked by Calibrated will be good for you.

Once you have those nailed it's a pretty simple lift - certainly less technically difficult than squats or the bench press.

Also a belt is by no means necessary. Make sure you learn how to breathe and brace properly before using a belt. This applies to squats too tbh.
Last edited by illusionz; 1 week ago
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by deadlift_noob)

Any rep range will help but 5-8 x 3-5 is probably standard. You can probably do up to twice a week at the start of a session depending on how many sessions you do and your split.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by illusionz)
Once you have those nailed it's a pretty simple lift - certainly less technically difficult than squats or the bench press.
A very good sumo deadlift is technically harder in my opinion - that sh*t is difficult 🤣
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
A very good sumo deadlift is technically harder in my opinion - that sh*t is difficult 🤣
I won't contest this since in about 4 years of (intermittent) lifting I've never attempted sumo lol

My conventional has always been strong and I've never seen the need.
Last edited by illusionz; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (6)
10.17%
Virtual campus tours/open days (12)
20.34%
Live streaming events (5)
8.47%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (6)
10.17%
A uni comparison tool (14)
23.73%
An in-person event when available (16)
27.12%