Accidentally plagiarised 12 words and not sure what to do.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I accidentally plagiarised 12 words in my recent policy brief assignment. I am in my second year and I have never plagiarised before and I don't know the consequences.
I have very good memory retention and when a phrase sticks with me I remember it. Anyway, when I was writing my conclusion I didn't read from any of my notes I was just summarising and somehow I plagiarised a whole 12 words???

My sentence was as follows and the plagiarised bit is in bold... To conclude, what has been made fundamentally important through this policy brief is that 'foreign criminals' who are considered de-facto citizens have both a human right to stay and a membership right to residence.

I am unsure on whether I should email my lecturer or if it isn't a problem, I don't want to get downgraded over an accident.

I would be grateful for any advice, thank you.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I accidentally plagiarised 12 words in my recent policy brief assignment. I am in my second year and I have never plagiarised before and I don't know the consequences.
I have very good memory retention and when a phrase sticks with me I remember it. Anyway, when I was writing my conclusion I didn't read from any of my notes I was just summarising and somehow I plagiarised a whole 12 words???

My sentence was as follows and the plagiarised bit is in bold... To conclude, what has been made fundamentally important through this policy brief is that 'foreign criminals' who are considered de-facto citizens have both a human right to stay and a membership right to residence.

I am unsure on whether I should email my lecturer or if it isn't a problem, I don't want to get downgraded over an accident.

I would be grateful for any advice, thank you.
Hey,

Have you checked your Turnitin score to see the percentage of plagiarism in your assignment? There is a review function on Turnitin that allows you to check. Some universities accept Turnitin scores of 10% but it just depends on the uni. The marker is usually checking for plagiarism in your referencing, spelling and grammar.

Have you emailed your lecturer? There's no harm in emailing them as they will be able to give you guidance on your situation and some reassurance

Melissa- Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.23%
Live streaming events (52)
7.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.05%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.47%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.47%