Something REALLY weird happened today (My brain doesn't tell me when I'm hungry)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I didn't know where to post this really but decided on mental health because I guess it kind of relates to an eating disorder but I don't think I have one of those.

I was just lying in bed watching a movie and all of a sudden my vision just went really weird like I could see but it was fuzzy in the centre, it felt almost similar to this one time I almost fainted due to a bit of blood but not quite the same. Then my body and surroundings started to feel fuzzy and I got really warm, but I wasn't panicking or anything, I was just sitting there confused. So I was just trying to figure out what was happening, I was coming up with things like maybe I've been looking at my laptop for too long, maybe I'm just tired, but it didn't seem right so I filled up my water bottle and drank the whole thing and I was like, oh maybe I was just a bit dehydrated, but the feeling and the vision thing didn't go away. So then I ate some food to see if that was the problem and I went back to normal.

Now I'm really confused because when I think back to what I ate today, I woke up at 11am and ate a sandwich at around 1 and I didn't eat anything else until around 6pm (that's when this weird stuff happened).

But like, if hunger was the problem, why didn't I know I was hungry? I mean it makes sense because I didn't eat anything for 5 hours but for some reason my brain didn't tell me I needed food until I started to black out. This isn't the first time I've gone hours without food, but not on purpose, I'm not actively trying to starve myself, I love food, it's just like I'm never aware that I'm hungry and it's weird and I don't know why I barely ever eat. I feel like I eat as part of a routine instead of a natural instinct or desire to eat due to hunger. idk.

I have been under a lot of stress recently, could it be related to that? Does anyone else experience not being able to tell if you're hungry?
a.mendesxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Stress has been linked to a loss of appetite so this could be related. I also experience this but I've had an eating disorder and still struggle with depression and stress. I haven't fully recovered from my eating disorder as I still get urges to starve however for over a week or so I have lost my appetite again as my mental health is worsening, eating feels like a full time job if I'm honest. I've blacked out and almost fainted more times than I can count, I think you should tell a family member or whoever you live with about it, if you blackout and faint at the wrong place you could seriously hurt yourself x
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
I used to frequently get this when my weight was low and I wasn't eating enough carbs to to keep my glycogen stores filled up - I would just end up having symptoms of hypos without actually feeling hungry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.86%
No (454)
48.14%

Watched Threads