super behind with a levels, is re-taking exams an option??

Watch
kbr1907
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am wondering if anyone can relate to me in my situation or have any advice on how to tackle this.

My intention isn't to attract any sympathy with this post I just want to see who else is in a similar position or have experience or info with retaking exams after getting your grades once you have left uni

I fully stand behind the idea of anything is possible and to not give up, but in this situation it is constantly running through my mind that I can't see how I am able to get A, A* grades in a system that might do the grades based on pervious work, like coursework,. whilst I got Cs and Ds and Es. I need A*AA.

I am super self-motivated (when in the right mind ofc) and believe if I was in this situation where exams were to go ahead I know I would be perfectly fine.

So basically I have had a bad run at college, I don't want go to exhaustive detail but I want to paint an image of the pickle that I am in, in hope to maybe have this for someone in a similar situation to find and consolidate with, and to seek advice for myself, so I will keep it short where I can.

Basically I did 3 courses that I thought that were A levels that were not first year so I started my actual a levels one year late (which right now are Maths, Further Maths and Sociology). I did reasonably well at the start of first year, getting As and Bs. Then when lockdown came around I did okay initially, I am an extremely independent person so I just cracked on with it. Then the getting behind started at the beginning of second year. I had so many things happen like a longggg talking stage, my car got written off, then fell ill for a long time, on top of that I need to work for insurance and what not. I got soooo for behind and tbh I still am, a key problem is that my relationship with the teachers are now really not good. Obviously this is my fault for not getting on top of things when I was mentally okay to.

One thing to note, right now, I am unbelievably behind in sociology as my mindset was focus on the subjects that were harder but now my knowledge is quite literally limited to the first year, which I am again, going to try and fix.

Basically, now I have got to the point where I am almost there with the work, but there's 4/5 months left (I don't know exactly), to get my grades up. If they do a coursework approach then I am evidently done for. And even for when exams are on it won't be easy but I have a lot of belief in myself.

What my main concern is right now is that my dream uni is southampton uni, I applied this year but got rejected due to my bad attendance, grades and the lot (understandably so), so I wanted to maybe be able to prove it with exams and go for clearing, but then got threw out the window with the cancellation of exams.

Additionally, I have some lovely teachers, they try their absolute best and I didn't do a good job of communicating with them during some events mentioned above and as much as I know they want me to do well I can't help but to know that what the reference isn't ever going to be "amazing student", "always on time, good attendance, good grades" (and again understandably so).

I have the alternative plan of taking another year out, meaning I will go to uni 2 years later than planned, this alone really doesn't settle well but I want to do my absolute best and if it means I have to do that then be it.

My big unknown is that I want to in the case that I have bad grades to privately take exams the next possible time I can, but i'm not sure how right now, but if I am able to, then to keep on revising with the resources I have and then do better hopefully.

So for now, I will be trying with my absolute everything to prove what I can do for now but I don't have a good feeling about any of it but from what I know it is still unknown to how grading will exactly be done.

I would love to hear if there is anyone else in my position or if anyone knows any information on revision tips for maths and if anyone has any knowledge on the nearest possible exam retake chances (I'm not really sure how to word that xd), Thank you
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! For revision tips, this will definitely help >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

For the rest of it, it really is your personal choice as to what your needs are. Remember that taking couple years out of your studies isnt necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure you'll figure it out!
kbr1907
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Sarvienn)
Hey! For revision tips, this will definitely help >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
For the rest of it, it really is your personal choice as to what your needs are. Remember that taking couple years out of your studies isnt necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure you'll figure it out!
Thank you this looks very helpful! Yeah I'm aware of that
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In England exams are normally only available in May/June so you'd have to wait until May/June 2022 to re-sit. Owing to covid-19, it's possible there will be an Autumn season this year (as there was last) and we should fine out on Thursday.
kbr1907
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
In England exams are normally only available in May/June so you'd have to wait until May/June 2022 to re-sit. Owing to covid-19, it's possible there will be an Autumn season this year (as there was last) and we should fine out on Thursday.
Yeah thank goodness I feel much more confident now because I won't have to rely on my teachers decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.65%
No (668)
51.35%

Watched Threads