The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SkanPad
You're just below last years lowest known EO DAS. Based on the scores this year for schemes and cut off being increased by some margin in instances, I wouldn't place all your eggs in the DAS basket.

Yes I know my chances are slim, I have followed last years scores and posts. Although I continue to apply for positions, I can't help but hope there's still a chance.

I just want to understand better how it works.
Original post by Cantos
Yes I know my chances are slim, I have followed last years scores and posts. Although I continue to apply for positions, I can't help but hope there's still a chance.

I just want to understand better how it works.

So the EO DAS will literally pick a score, say 8.2, and work up from there, until meeting in the middle with the HEO score. They go from the bottom so as not to offer anyone a place that may be eligible for HEO. I can understand why they do it, but it means people with higher scores are waiting for an offer. It meant in previous years some candidates were left in limbo and picked up by neither stream, and that some high scoring candidates are placed extremely late or not at all if their original offer falls through.

Until the first batch of EO EOIs go out, you won’t know the cut off point
Original post by Rid123
Ahh I see, cheers! Would you say that most people who get an EOI, will get an offer eventually? Even if it takes a few months like it did for yourself? I know a few people will most likely miss out, but would you say the vast majority get roles in the end?

I would say it’s the vast majority, which was leaving me feeling very hard done by that I hadn’t been placed 12 months after my FSAC despite scoring higher than people who had already started roles through the DAS.

I got lucky getting my specific job as it wasn’t one the DAS put me forward for. I think I would’ve been placed eventually but I don’t think it would’ve been as good a job. For example the second role I was allocated to was an EO role despite me scoring well enough to be HEO.

You also need to be prepared for the job maybe not being what you want, and it being your only offer. I know some people were offered PA / Admin heavy roles and weren’t pleased.

It can be an extremely long process with little reward at the end, or it can be short and your dream job. It’s literally down to luck. Coming out the other side of it my biggest piece of advice would be don’t wait around for the DAS. Let it be going on in the background while you’re applying to jobs or upskilling. You probably will get a role but don’t expect it to be a smooth or quick process
Reply 63
Original post by Inside Worker
I would say it’s the vast majority, which was leaving me feeling very hard done by that I hadn’t been placed 12 months after my FSAC despite scoring higher than people who had already started roles through the DAS.

I got lucky getting my specific job as it wasn’t one the DAS put me forward for. I think I would’ve been placed eventually but I don’t think it would’ve been as good a job. For example the second role I was allocated to was an EO role despite me scoring well enough to be HEO.

You also need to be prepared for the job maybe not being what you want, and it being your only offer. I know some people were offered PA / Admin heavy roles and weren’t pleased.

It can be an extremely long process with little reward at the end, or it can be short and your dream job. It’s literally down to luck. Coming out the other side of it my biggest piece of advice would be don’t wait around for the DAS. Let it be going on in the background while you’re applying to jobs or upskilling. You probably will get a role but don’t expect it to be a smooth or quick process

Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification! I'm still yet to finish my masters in the next couple months and have exams etc, so I guess I'll just put it out of my mind for now and let it go in the background as you say:smile: cheers!
When can we expect the first EOI letters to be sent out this year? I think all the FSAC’s must’ve been completed by now.

I failed at FSAC stage with a score of 9.5.
Been reading through pages for last years thread and there have been people offered EO roles with scores of 8.7.

It also says people with scores between 9.5-12.2 have been considered for a HEO role. I’m right in the middle for the cut-offs between EO or HEO according to the previous years figures. Do my chances for HEO seem slim at the minute? Obviously would love a HEO role but I’ll happily take the EO as well. Just hoping not to get stuck in the void.

Finally, does anyone have any information on if I’ll only be considered for a STEM EO role with Science and Engineering being my first preference or will I be considered for the generalist appointments too?(I had ddat and hop as other remaining choices during FSAC).

Thanks in advance and good luck to those waiting for the DAS.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LiamHllwy
When can we expect the first EOI letters to be sent out this year? I think all the FSAC’s must’ve been completed by now.

I failed at FSAC stage with a score of 9.5.
Been reading through pages for last years thread and there have been people offered EO roles with scores of 8.7.

It also says people with scores between 9.5-12.2 have been considered for a HEO role. I’m right in the middle for the cut-offs between EO or HEO according to the previous years figures. Do my chances for HEO seem slim at the minute? Obviously would love a HEO role but I’ll happily take the EO as well. Just hoping not to get stuck in the void.

Finally, does anyone have any information on if I’ll only be considered for a STEM EO role with Science and Engineering being my first preference or will I be considered for the generalist appointments too?(I had ddat and hop as other remaining choices during FSAC).

Thanks in advance and good luck to those waiting for the DAS.

I believe they were sent out around April last year for the first batch. Usually they wait until all the FSB’s are done because then those people who failed at FSB are also considered for the scheme (and may even be given preference)

I’ve had a look at this years fast stream thread and the scores in general seem higher, so I would guess that the lowest HEO DAS offer would also be higher. But that’s just a guess.If I’m being honest I’d say your chances of HEO are slim, but that’s just going from the scores of this years assessment centre. I think the process may unfortunately be a long one for you because you’re not low enough to be one of the first EO EOI’s and not high enough for the first HEO. When you are eventually sent an EOI form it will specify which grade it’s for.

Haven’t got too much info on the STEM one, I’d assume you’d get a STEM EOI which may actually speed up your process slightly but I’m not 100%. It may also be that they only send STEM EOI’s to people who fail at FSB. A lot of the process and what we know about it is conjecture, until EOI’s start going out it’s not definite how the process will be
I had an offer from DAS last year which got dropped due to COVID, I'm still waiting on last year's DAS to complete as they're still matching people up until the end of this month, anyone else in a similar position?
Original post by Inside Worker
I believe they were sent out around April last year for the first batch. Usually they wait until all the FSB’s are done because then those people who failed at FSB are also considered for the scheme (and may even be given preference)

I’ve had a look at this years fast stream thread and the scores in general seem higher, so I would guess that the lowest HEO DAS offer would also be higher. But that’s just a guess.If I’m being honest I’d say your chances of HEO are slim, but that’s just going from the scores of this years assessment centre. I think the process may unfortunately be a long one for you because you’re not low enough to be one of the first EO EOI’s and not high enough for the first HEO. When you are eventually sent an EOI form it will specify which grade it’s for.

Haven’t got too much info on the STEM one, I’d assume you’d get a STEM EOI which may actually speed up your process slightly but I’m not 100%. It may also be that they only send STEM EOI’s to people who fail at FSB. A lot of the process and what we know about it is conjecture, until EOI’s start going out it’s not definite how the process will be

Thanks for the insight. Really appreciate your comment. I guess I better forget about the DAS for the next 2 months or so and get on with my life and just assume I won’t hear from them.
Reply 68
Hi guys, I've failed generalist with a score of 10.18. Anyone with a bit more knowledge of DAS know where I stand in terms of a score like that? I know it's more competitive this year, so am I being too hopeful that I could be offered a HEO role?
Thanks!
If one receives an offer to join the CS and then secures a DAS offer, is it frowned upon to jump straight away?
Reply 70
Original post by gee9782
Hi guys, I've failed generalist with a score of 10.18. Anyone with a bit more knowledge of DAS know where I stand in terms of a score like that? I know it's more competitive this year, so am I being too hopeful that I could be offered a HEO role?
Thanks!

Yeah I am in a similar boat failed with a score of 10.04 so following closely too. Seams a lot more competitive this year that's for sure.
hello all, failed generalist with a score of 10.34 so hopefully I'll get offered HEO a role?

my main question is this:
people are failing FSAC with scores of 10.88 for example, so if me and this other person were to apply for FCDO, is it more likely they'll get the role as they had a higher score?

im really interested in FCDO and BEIS but i understand these are one of the most competitive
A few people have been commenting wondering if there scores are enough to get on a certain stream, I think it’s worth baring a couple of things in mind.

1. Yes this year is more highly scored than the previous, this was also the case for last year, and the year before that. This was also the first year that FSAC’s were assessed online, so comparisons to previous years, while somewhat comforting, are not beneficial.

2. With it being more highly scored, the assumption would be that the boundaries for each scheme rise. I also think they might rise even more than expected because of the state of last years DAS. Some people are still waiting to be placed, and recruitment in the service generally has slowed. People are less willing to move jobs during a pandemic so less positions are available. EOI’s will likely be sent out at the same rate, but recruitment might be slower than last year.

I know this sounds rich coming from someone who got a job through the scheme (albeit in an unusual way) but please don’t put all your eggs into this basket. Make sure you’re applying for other jobs or upskilling in the mean time
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 73
Anyone have any experience with the DAS in terms of how much they take into account location preferences? Tbh my only apprehension with the fast stream was the prospect of possibly having to move to London which I really didn't want to do, so I'm pleased to see the DAS will ask you for preferences. Is it useful to express an interest in departments that are located in your preferred area?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SkanPad
If one receives an offer to join the CS and then secures a DAS offer, is it frowned upon to jump straight away?

I have also recently applied for a HEO through Civil Service jobs website. I would actually be happier to get into this position than I would if I made it on to Fast Stream.
I mentioned that I failed at FSAC stage this year with a high score and explained why I would be a good match. But I hate the fact that you can't really attach supporting documents for the roles on CS jobs. I have completed work in the past that highly related with the role.

Also why would you accept the DAS if you've already been offered a role ? DAS takes a long time to process and there is no guarantee that you'll be offered a role that you like. That's my comprehension of what I have been reading through the DAS threads.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 75
Well with an AC score of 9.8 it seems I'll be slap bang in the middle of EO and HEO!
Do they give any mention of DAS when they reject you from FSB or do you randomly just get an email a couple of months after? Thanks
Reply 77
Original post by Hola5678
Do they give any mention of DAS when they reject you from FSB or do you randomly just get an email a couple of months after? Thanks

A random email, but they mention it on the fast stream FAQ's
Reply 78
Hi everyone,

Just jumping on this thread because I recently found out I didn’t pass the PD FSB and didn’t have the option to fall back on Generalist because I went out in work based scenarios :frown:. Scored 10.78 in FSAC so hopefully will be in with a chance of hearing something from DAS, although it seems like DAS isn’t something we should rely on based on others’ past experiences... Here’s to hoping anyway! Best of luck everyone and hopefully those EoI’s will be sent out soon :smile:
Just to let everyone know, I got an EOI email for EO level today. I assume I am one of the early ones because my score at FSAC (9.36) was comparatively low compared to what I've seen others have posted, but confirms they've sent out the first batch and that anyone above my score should hopefully get an EOI at some point. Good luck to you all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending