PeterTSR
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I am a Year 11 student starting college in September.
My current subject choices are; Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics and Business.

The college I'm going to requires you to have 8 Grade 7's or higher to study four a levels and I fear I am one or two short of this requirement. With this being said, I will most likely have to drop Economics or Business, but I can't decide which.

I am looking to go to university and study something to do with the business sector, I'm not sure yet. I have heard that top universities see Business as an "easy course" and Economics is more academically challenging, which is good.

Do you recommend Business or Economics?
isabel.b
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PeterTSR)
Hi,

I am a Year 11 student starting college in September.
My current subject choices are; Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics and Business.

The college I'm going to requires you to have 8 Grade 7's or higher to study four a levels and I fear I am one or two short of this requirement. With this being said, I will most likely have to drop Economics or Business, but I can't decide which.

I am looking to go to university and study something to do with the business sector, I'm not sure yet. I have heard that top universities see Business as an "easy course" and Economics is more academically challenging, which is good.

Do you recommend Business or Economics?
Hi, I am also in year 11 and planning on doing economics. I'd say that economics is better to do over business since, like you said, universities will probably see business as a 'soft' subject so if you're planning on going to a top uni I would definitely do economics. I'm pretty sure universities will love the combination of maths, computer science and economics to do any degree, especially one in the business sector. Anyways good luck!
Stark°3000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just do whatever subject you like lol.
There is no 'soft' or 'hard' subject please don't fall into this trap.
isabel.b
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stark°3000)
Just do whatever subject you like lol.
There is no 'soft' or 'hard' subject please don't fall into this trap.
Maybe not 'soft' or 'hard' subject but especially for top unis there are subjects which they prefer which are usually the more traditional ones like history and english etc. so just check what a unis preferred subjects are on their website.
PeterTSR
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by isabel.b)
Hi, I am also in year 11 and planning on doing economics. I'd say that economics is better to do over business since, like you said, universities will probably see business as a 'soft' subject so if you're planning on going to a top uni I would definitely do economics. I'm pretty sure universities will love the combination of maths, computer science and economics to do any degree, especially one in the business sector. Anyways good luck!
Thank you!
Stark°3000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by isabel.b)
Maybe not 'soft' or 'hard' subject but especially for top unis there are subjects which they prefer which are usually the more traditional ones like history and english etc. so just check what a unis preferred subjects are on their website.
Yeah I agree a couple of unis do have a preferred subject list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (632)
48.77%
No (664)
51.23%

Watched Threads