NCS

Watch
Karmax
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
So I want to go to ncs but I wanted an opinion from someone who has been previously. How do you travel there? Do you pick your own teams for group activities? Do you go home for the weekend and have to go to another meeting place the following weekday? How do I make friends? I'm socially awkward and an extreme introvert.
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I would highly recommend it but be prepared to be out of your comfort zone sometimes (in a good way!). So it varies from county to county depending on where your residential is. We went to Devon for ours and I live in the Midlands so we all took a coach for about 5 hours which actually wasn't too bad. In terms of groups what happens is in your application you can write who you want to be with (or you can put no one down) and then NCS try and accommodate this my putting several small groups together to make 15. Everyone I know went with who they wanted to go with but a side note from a personal experience was that I am a twin and me and my sister wanted to be split up but when we got put into our groups of 15 our 2 mini groups got put together. In the end we didn't mind and I loved the group I was in but to some extent they're limited to swap things round once groups are assigned.

Each weekend you go home and then in our case it was pretty much the same meeting point the start of each week. The only real time you had to worry about getting yourself somewhere specific is when you do your social action (last week) at which point your group has collectively decided where you are all going. For the residential and uni week you just had to get the the central local point and then you all travel in the coach to where you need to be.

In terms of making friends obviously it varies from group to group but I found it quite easy. Some people will have come together so naturally will be a bit closer but what I found was that as soon as you started doing activities together everyone found it quite easy to get along. Top tips would be to be approachable and try to be your most confident self. Would highly recommend bringing a packet of cards or uno for the first week - not only is it a great way to break the ice but you'll have lots of free time in the evenings so you'll be thankful for them. Don't be afraid to make friends with people outside your group too.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I've been before. You travel with the organisation. For the first two weeks, I was away from home. We didn't choose groups. They delegated us into teams. For the last two weeks, yes, you can go home.
donburi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Karmax)
So I want to go to ncs but I wanted an opinion from someone who has been previously. How do you travel there? Do you pick your own teams for group activities? Do you go home for the weekend and have to go to another meeting place the following weekday? How do I make friends? I'm socially awkward and an extreme introvert.
I was considering to do NCS as well! I previously did Prince's trust and it was amazing!!!!
Karmax
Rep:
?
(Original post by turkeydinosaur16)
I would highly recommend it but be prepared to be out of your comfort zone sometimes (in a good way!). So it varies from county to county depending on where your residential is. We went to Devon for ours and I live in the Midlands so we all took a coach for about 5 hours which actually wasn't too bad. In terms of groups what happens is in your application you can write who you want to be with (or you can put no one down) and then NCS try and accommodate this my putting several small groups together to make 15. Everyone I know went with who they wanted to go with but a side note from a personal experience was that I am a twin and me and my sister wanted to be split up but when we got put into our groups of 15 our 2 mini groups got put together. In the end we didn't mind and I loved the group I was in but to some extent they're limited to swap things round once groups are assigned.

Each weekend you go home and then in our case it was pretty much the same meeting point the start of each week. The only real time you had to worry about getting yourself somewhere specific is when you do your social action (last week) at which point your group has collectively decided where you are all going. For the residential and uni week you just had to get the the central local point and then you all travel in the coach to where you need to be.

In terms of making friends obviously it varies from group to group but I found it quite easy. Some people will have come together so naturally will be a bit closer but what I found was that as soon as you started doing activities together everyone found it quite easy to get along. Top tips would be to be approachable and try to be your most confident self. Would highly recommend bringing a packet of cards or uno for the first week - not only is it a great way to break the ice but you'll have lots of free time in the evenings so you'll be thankful for them. Don't be afraid to make friends with people outside your group too.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have
Thank you that really helped since the website had so little on the programme. Definitely considering it more. 😁
Karmax
Rep:
?
(Original post by gtty123)
I've been before. You travel with the organisation. For the first two weeks, I was away from home. We didn't choose groups. They delegated us into teams. For the last two weeks, yes, you can go home.
Well I'm glad that I might not have to choose a group because I suck at making friends. Thanks for the info. 😘
Karmax
Rep:
?
(Original post by donburi)
I was considering to do NCS as well! I previously did Prince's trust and it was amazing!!!!
I wanted to do some sort of summer activity. I might take a look at Prince trust then. 😁
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Well I'm glad that I might not have to choose a group because I suck at making friends. Thanks for the info. 😘
It's not that bad, don't worry. Most people there (in my case anyway) did not have friends before NCS. No worries.
Goku's Hairbrush
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
the first two weeks are cool because you go camping and then stay in uni halls but the rest is broing asf. its fun but i only went for like 7 days out of the whole thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.77%
No (449)
48.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed