Abcd.ef
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I'm sorry this is so long but I want to make sure that I get all the details are correct.

I suffer quite badly with some mental health issues, when I was in my final year of GCSES I had a break down and couldn't function on a day to day basis. Ultimately I ended up failing my January mocks after doing really well in my October mocks, as I would either zone out and just be numb or have a panic attack. This was the first year of covid and grades were based off of teacher assessments so I somehow managed to walk away with 5 9s and the rest 8s and 7s with a five in French. Honestly I'm still disappointed with them as I know that I could of achieved more if I was function properly but considering the situation I was in, I am still kinda proud of them.

When I applied to college I wanted to do 4: biology, chemistry, phycology or physics and art however the college team disagreed venomously as I was already undertaking their sports academy program (football). My parents were on the colleges side and looking back I was still trying to recover from my eposides so had no energy to disagree with anyone, I was still a shell of myself at this point. My parents took over my applications process and I ended up taking biology, chemistry and art.

Here's the issue, I'm doing a lot better now, I'm on meds and I know that I want to go to Russel uni to study natural science. I love studying and I find science particularly easy, it was main factor in helping me recover. However im worried that my lack of third Stem subject will prevent that, particularly at the more prestigious universities. I'm predicted three A* but I can't help but feel as if an extra AS level would have been beneficial, especially as I broke my ankle really badly in early December so have had a lot of free time as I'm no longer in the academy. Looking back I really regret not pushing the four AS levels, especially as the AS would be based on teacher assessments again this year. I've signed up to do the Newham biology challenge, the epq and am doing as many qualifications as I can to try and fill in for the a level but I am not sure it is enough.
I know that the modules for Nat Sci will be limited as I am not taking physics but I fell in love with the course and am concerned that university's particularly places like Oxford, Trinity or Exeter won't even consider my application due to the lack of extra Stem or maths A level.

Is it worth taking an extra AS level next year or should I start looking at universities that are not in the Russel group or well regarded such as Bath or Durham. Or should I even begin looking for different courses?

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is just discussing what place is best to go for Natural science
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abcd.ef)
Hi,
I'm sorry this is so long but I want to make sure that I get all the details are correct.

I suffer quite badly with some mental health issues, when I was in my final year of GCSES I had a break down and couldn't function on a day to day basis. Ultimately I ended up failing my January mocks after doing really well in my October mocks, as I would either zone out and just be numb or have a panic attack. This was the first year of covid and grades were based off of teacher assessments so I somehow managed to walk away with 5 9s and the rest 8s and 7s with a five in French. Honestly I'm still disappointed with them as I know that I could of achieved more if I was function properly but considering the situation I was in, I am still kinda proud of them.

When I applied to college I wanted to do 4: biology, chemistry, phycology or physics and art however the college team disagreed venomously as I was already undertaking their sports academy program (football). My parents were on the colleges side and looking back I was still trying to recover from my eposides so had no energy to disagree with anyone, I was still a shell of myself at this point. My parents took over my applications process and I ended up taking biology, chemistry and art.

Here's the issue, I'm doing a lot better now, I'm on meds and I know that I want to go to Russel uni to study natural science. I love studying and I find science particularly easy, it was main factor in helping me recover. However im worried that my lack of third Stem subject will prevent that, particularly at the more prestigious universities. I'm predicted three A* but I can't help but feel as if an extra AS level would have been beneficial, especially as I broke my ankle really badly in early December so have had a lot of free time as I'm no longer in the academy. Looking back I really regret not pushing the four AS levels, especially as the AS would be based on teacher assessments again this year. I've signed up to do the Newham biology challenge, the epq and am doing as many qualifications as I can to try and fill in for the a level but I am not sure it is enough.
I know that the modules for Nat Sci will be limited as I am not taking physics but I fell in love with the course and am concerned that university's particularly places like Oxford, Trinity or Exeter won't even consider my application due to the lack of extra Stem or maths A level.

Is it worth taking an extra AS level next year or should I start looking at universities that are not in the Russel group or well regarded such as Bath or Durham. Or should I even begin looking for different courses?

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is just discussing what place is best to go for Natural science
Hi, Just wanted to point out that Oxford doesn't offer NatSci, it's offers its sciences at single degrees unless you go for something similar to Physics and Philosophy. I don't think not necessarily having an extra AS in a STEM subject is a disadvantage, as long as you can justify how your subjects link into prep for studying NatSci.
I can't find where you specified what A-levels you're doing/did so I am going off the basis you did Bio, chem and Psychology, a lot of the Unis only require one science, and then say the others are helpful (Cambridge website at least).
Also your modules may not be limited, because if you do Bio NatSci then not doing Physics isn't a real break it or make it moment.
Also, may I ask what exactly the Newham Bio competition is called, as Iam interested in applying but can't find it on the web
Last edited by Bookworm_88; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (79)
11.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (160)
24.28%
Live streaming events (52)
7.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
8.95%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (156)
23.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise