The Student Room Group

No Motivation at Uni

So Uni has been online for quite a while now and Im really starting to lose motivation to the point were I don't care anymore. Im in my first year and since I haven't really been at uni and haven't been in that environment that you usually would be to take everything seriously, Im starting to lose all motivation. I'm already behind and haven't made that many friends with the people on my course, Im not the best at communicating online, but am more social in real life and face-to-face so I'm really struggling. Im also working at Tesco so its been hard to balance everything since this whole pandemic has made my job more demanding and when I come home Im completely drained. Does anyone have advice or going through a similar situation, just need a bit of guidance on how to get myself out of this hole.
Original post by rumaisa2880
So Uni has been online for quite a while now and Im really starting to lose motivation to the point were I don't care anymore. Im in my first year and since I haven't really been at uni and haven't been in that environment that you usually would be to take everything seriously, Im starting to lose all motivation. I'm already behind and haven't made that many friends with the people on my course, Im not the best at communicating online, but am more social in real life and face-to-face so I'm really struggling. Im also working at Tesco so its been hard to balance everything since this whole pandemic has made my job more demanding and when I come home Im completely drained. Does anyone have advice or going through a similar situation, just need a bit of guidance on how to get myself out of this hole.

Hello @rumaisa2880

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling, University is challenging at this time! However, with regards to the road map to ease out of lockdown, there is hope that we will have some form of normality soon, so it will be easier to make some friends with societies or sports teams! I also understand your concern with balancing University work with your job, I am sure your University tutors will consider that people have jobs too. I find that having a planner helps me as I can see what I have to do for the week and perhaps highlight according to your top priorities.

I hope this helps and do feel free to comment if you have any further questions!
Gabrielle- University of Hull Rep
Original post by rumaisa2880

Totally with you on this. I'm in third year so I know a time at uni pre-covid but it's still not ideal, I can't imagine online learning being the only uni experience someone has had. What's getting me through is knowing that this isn't forever and that my uni are doing everything they can for the students. It's definitely much harder to work and learn online but there are resources out there, you just have to put your mind to it. Writing a to-do list keeps me motivated every day and visualising my long terms goals of being a teacher. This isn't forever, just try and stay strong in the meantime.
Have your uni/SU set up any online social events? This might be worth looking into.

Being a key worker and a student sounds tough, is there a way you can reduce your hours or change your shifts so they're not as full on?
I'd also recommend reaching out to your Wellbeing team, they've helped me through a few difficult periods I've had as a student, even if it's just someone to listen.
Don't give up!
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling like this - but can totally relate to you.
First off, just wanted to say that you're not alone. It's incredibly difficult for students at the minute, and often we can be overlooked - so hope you are giving yourself a pat on the back with your small successes too!
My advice to you would be to talk to your academic advisor, and just explain how you feel. It'd be good to just rant, and let it all out - and then they can guide you on how is best to go around your situation. The longer you let this go on, the worse you will feel (happens to me all the time!), and there's no harm in sending an email to arrange a mini meeting. :smile:

Hope that's helpful - and definitely don't give up!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest