The Student Room Group

im scared, please help me...

I can't say I'm a person who have 100% confidence, but ever since i left my old school, I'm having hard time opening up to my class and making friends.
I find myself constantly imagining my old friends were in my old school, and i also find myself getting sad or annoyed to the tiniest thing after i left my school.
I know changing schools is a small thing (i've changed many schools before). But i made really good and real friends there, and Im known to be a "confident" person. but i feels like im drained.
whats wrong with me?
Hi, sorry if this isn't the best, im only a 13 yr old kid lol. first of all, nothing's wrong with you. Switching schools is always one of the hardest scenarios to make friends. Many of us struggle to talk to new people, but meeting new people doesn't have to be scary. The main tips to help you open up to your class and make friends is:

1. Use conversation starters to get chatting. For example, if someone asks if they can borrown a pencil, say smth like 'sure, he you go'. Then, a conversation might start by the kid saying smth like 'Thanks, btw, what school did you go to', then u can reply with what school u went to before then what about u. Then thats a conversation starter, basically breaking the ice.
2. Look for common interests. Having something in common with someone won't automatically make you best friends, but people tend to open up about things they're passionate about.
3. Build up confidence and be approachable. It's far easier to approach someone who looks like they want to talk to you. Barriers such as wearing earphones and negative body-language might put people off.
4. Ask open questions and let others ask questions to you. Open questions are questions that can have a number of responses, whereas closed questions are questions which are limited to a few set answers. When chatting to people try to use open questions to encourage discussion and if you get asked a question try to respond in a way that suggests you're happy to continue a conversation.
5. Be kind, interesting, a good person to work with
6. Spend time with any friends or your friend. Hanging out with friends of friends can be a great way to meet new people. It's always less awkward if you have someone to introduce you and something to talk about.
7. Speak to someone who is on their own. Not only will you be helping someone else who might be in a similar situation to you but it usually feels easier to approach one person than a large group.

Really hope this helps dude, good luck! Its not always easy making new friends, especially when switching schools, just give it ur best shot and use these tips!!! Its rly helpful!
Hey, I moved schools last year and even though it was my choice to do so it was still scary! For ages afterwards whenever I would hear or see something funny I would go to turn to my best friend to tell her except she wouldn't be there. It does get better, I know it's difficult but be as approchable as possible. Whenever you see someone you have a class with in the corridor smile at them or say high, the vast majority of people will respond and then they will walk away thinking that you are a nice person (which I'm sure you are!) Dont be afriad to talk to people, I (and a lot of other people :rolleyes:) use "I'm so tired", "I'm so hungry" or "What class do you have next?" as a conversation starter! Try and stay in contact online with your old friends so you still get to interact with them, but soon you'll have new friends too who are just as funny!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending