Do you have any tips for English Literature that have helped you?

Watch
R35qetos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I am predicted mostly 7-8-9 in GCSE and in Year 10 right now I have mostly 7, two 8s and one 9. However in English literature I've gotten 5+ and 6+. I really want to improve on this grade and get at least a 7 but I would preferably like an 8 for Oxford. Do you have any tips for English Literature that have helped you?
theoneyoulove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
the cgp revision guide is AMAZING and past papers , memorising quotes etc
R35qetos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by theoneyoulove)
the cgp revision guide is AMAZING and past papers , memorising quotes etc
Do you think the Collins English language and literature guide is any good? I'm between the cgp and that one
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Doing well in English literature is about building skills and understanding how texts are formed. This doesn't work for everyone, but the following method worked for me:

1. Choose a text (doesn't always have to be one you're studying) and label as many literary devices are you can, even if you don't think they do anything much. https://quizlet.com/gb/340046654/eng...s-flash-cards/ (definitely not the best quizlet in the world, but it's a start!)

2. Choose a theme to do with the text and annotate every literary technique with how it could change your perception of that theme.

3. Choose your favourite 3 quotes are write a PEE paragraph linking the ideas together to form one coherent argument.

4. If you know any, think about how you might incorporate context into your argument.

Once you get used to doing this, you'll be able to do it more and more in your head, which will make writing paragraphs easier. But for now, focus on finding links between techniques and themes.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
For the poems i annotated each one as i was learning through them and i highlighted the techniques used and bullet pointed what they might ask about it. For the analysis of books i used the snaprevise mini revision guide its really good
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Im in year 13 btw and i did English lit when i was in year 10 so it has been a long long time lol
theoneyoulove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by R35qetos)
Do you think the Collins English language and literature guide is any good? I'm between the cgp and that one
the english lit one is good but i think the cgp is better and ive never had the language one
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I got snap revision guides and I found them a lot better than cgp - went from a 6 to a 9 between yr10 and 11 but this was 2 years ago...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (206)
51.89%
No (191)
48.11%

Watched Threads