Staggered applications to Masters programmes and references

Watch
MrChill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am applying for masters and also have tonnes of work to do. So far I have done 1 Masters application and the prospective uni has already e-mailed my referees to supply references for me.

I am still working on 3 more applications and it looks like none of those unis will send out reference requests until my application is complete and I submit them. Do you think referees will be okay to write references in such staggered fashion (one after another with a few days gap in between)? or should I just complete all of them once and then hit submit on all the applications on the same day, so that my referees get all reference requests on the same day?

I just wanted to know the general etiquette, that's all. Thanks.
Last edited by MrChill; 1 week ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MrChill)
I am applying for masters and also have tonnes of work to do. So far I have done 1 Masters application and the prospective uni has already e-mailed my referees to supply references for me.

I am still working on 3 more applications and it looks like none of those unis will send out reference requests until my application is complete and I submit them. Do you think referees will be okay to write references in such staggered fashion (one after another with a few days gap in between)? or should I just complete all of them once and then hit submit on all the applications on the same day, so that my referees get all reference requests on the same day?

I just wanted to know the general etiquette, that's all. Thanks.
When you ask for a reference, you lay out to your referees that you might be making about X applications between A and B months and would they be OK with that. They will likely send exactly the same reference to each as universities tend not to have frameworks for references, it's just about suitability and a free text response.

Employers are the issue, they ask in different formats, some just a free text letter, some specific questions, some have a form etc. That's more work for a referee.
MrChill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
When you ask for a reference, you lay out to your referees that you might be making about X applications between A and B months and would they be OK with that. They will likely send exactly the same reference to each as universities tend not to have frameworks for references, it's just about suitability and a free text response.

Employers are the issue, they ask in different formats, some just a free text letter, some specific questions, some have a form etc. That's more work for a referee.
Ah right. Thanks for the info. I have already stated in my e-mails to my referees that I will be making 4 applications, the deadline dates (if any) and when I will be applying- they seem chilled. They are essentially doing me a favour and it's extra work for them, so I didn't want to bother them too much with repeat requests for references on different days, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%