Parents refuse to help with funding, what do

Watch
ad2904
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Basically, we fall in to the upper bracket of earnings therefore I will receive the smallest loan. SAAS are assuming my parents are willing to support me along the way but they are not. They also have not taken in to account that of what my Father earns I only see in food, water and electricity. I have a job myself but I'm on min. wage and due to the pandemic I'm on furlough which is about £60 a month. I know I should save, but that money tends to go towards clothing as have very little from when I moved in, bus fare as I cannot drive/be driven, toiletries etc. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what I can do to make student living a little easier as I won't have much to go on. The loan I'm eligible for just about cover the cheapest accommodation at my first choice.I'm sure I'd be able to get a job but as I am a younger student (17) I'm worried that a lot of places will be reluctant to hire me.Anyway, sorry for rambling, help pls
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you spoken to your parents about your situation? SAAS assume that they will contribute financially.
ad2904
Rep:
?
Yes I have spoken to them. My parents assume that I'll be getting a job that will cover all expenses. I've tried to explain that I'm too young for some employers but they won't listen.
tatekiveal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i know how you feel, though your situation is more severe. I would definitely get in touch with your uni and even your sixth form, ask about scholarships. That's the best advice I think I can give. You may even be able to reach out to prospective companies that you may want to work with after uni, to see if they can sponsor you.
Uni_Student321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is the big flaw with student loans. They assume parents will contribute which isn't the case in many cases. I think this is a problem that needs fixing.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ad2904)
Yes I have spoken to them. My parents assume that I'll be getting a job that will cover all expenses. I've tried to explain that I'm too young for some employers but they won't listen.
Have you asked about deferring your entry to university so that you can stay at home and work and save for a year?

It's worth putting together a budget to show them how much you'd need to earn to cover your expenses. They might be willing to help more if you show them some evidence of the costs you'll have and the income you can get.
tatekiveal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Uni_Student321)
This is the big flaw with student loans. They assume parents will contribute which isn't the case in many cases. I think this is a problem that needs fixing.
it's so frustrating. They're not giving us free money anyways, it's paid back, so what's the big deal with increasing the loan??? Especially if you will be going into a field (e.g being a doctor) where you are very very likely to be able to pay it off!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tatekiveal)
it's so frustrating. They're not giving us free money anyways, it's paid back, so what's the big deal with increasing the loan??? Especially if you will be going into a field (e.g being a doctor) where you are very very likely to be able to pay it off!
80% of students aren't expected to repay their student loans
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Uni_Student321)
I completely agree. It is unacceptable to base an adult's access to education upon their parent's earnings. Particularly where there is no legal requirement for the parents to offer any further support.
ad2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have you asked about deferring your entry to university so that you can stay at home and work and save for a year?

It's worth putting together a budget to show them how much you'd need to earn to cover your expenses. They might be willing to help more if you show them some evidence of the costs you'll have and the income you can get.
Yeah showing evidence of cost sounds like a good idea thanks. Deferring is something I personally do not want to do, I am very ready toove out lol
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ad2904)
Yeah showing evidence of cost sounds like a good idea thanks. Deferring is something I personally do not want to do, I am very ready toove out lol
It['s something to talk to your parents about - if you can't see a way to afford it and they're not willing to help then a gap year and saving is your only option. It's possible that might be something that will convince them to help you
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Your parents sound lovely
It should not be on parents to financially support their adult family members.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He has already explained his situation he can't afford to pay for everything himself.
Euapp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reue)
He's 17!
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Euapp)
He's 17!
Wont be forever
Niallb33
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same thing happened to me throughout uni, had to work throughout and rely on my overdraft. System is unfair in its current state, my studies were definitely negatively effected due to working throughout my final year. Although, its not impossible to manage... It just requires a lot of planning
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fwiw if you marry or civil partner a friend who is also a student and in the same situation then you will both receive full funding.
ad2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Fwiw if you marry or civil partner a friend who is also a student and in the same situation then you will both receive full funding.
Not a bad plan lol
ad2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by Niallb33)
Same thing happened to me throughout uni, had to work throughout and rely on my overdraft. System is unfair in its current state, my studies were definitely negatively effected due to working throughout my final year. Although, its not impossible to manage... It just requires a lot of planning
Good to know that it's possible to make it through without much support, that really sucks though
ad2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
Hi. I am not an adult, I am 17. I have basically been supporting myself since I moved in with my dad. I earn £60 a month with furlough and if I was working it'd be £100 in a good month therefore I am unable to build up savings. Please tell me how you think I am supposed to support myself at uni where the lease for the cheapest accommodation is £4000 for the 38 weeks (self-catered), the loan I will receive is £4750 for the year, the food and travel I will have to pay on to of that, and the difficulty getting a job due to my age.

I would really appreciate your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (43)
23.37%
Unhappy (52)
28.26%
Conflicted (89)
48.37%

Watched Threads