Is it transphobic to say you would not date someone who is transgender?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ed98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
As above.

I recently had a debate with a friend about this. Wdyt? If someone said they wouldn’t ever date someone who was transgender would that make them transphobic?

I personally don’t think that would necessarily make them transphobic but interested to hear other people’s opinions.
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. I don't see how it's transphobic
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the reason. If its because you hate trans people, yeah. If its because you want biological kids and that would not be possible ( among other things ), no.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
N.
PrivateScript0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No it isn't
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s not transphobic. It just means they don’t want to date someone transgender.
They aren’t saying anything against being transgender.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
No. If you're straight you're straight I don't see how it's transphobic
You're still straight if you date a trans person...
Goku's Hairbrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ed98)
As above.

I recently had a debate with a friend about this. Wdyt? If someone said they wouldn’t ever date someone who was transgender would that make them transphobic?

I personally don’t think that would necessarily make them transphobic but interested to hear other people’s opinions.
your friend peobably dresses up as a fox and barks at people if theyre really arguing about that, youre right
BabeW/OThePower
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't help who you are attracted to. So, no, it's not transphobic to not want a relationship with a trans person (if you aren't attracted to them). That can't be helped.
ababab123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
You're still straight if you date a trans person...
no lol, particularly if they haven't gone through surgery.

and OP to answer ur question, hell no, don't let the trans community gaslight you into thinking they're entitled to ur body.
Last edited by ababab123; 1 week ago
Starfish_1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ed98)
As above.

Since you asked, I believe it is transphobic, and wrong. You're not willing to date someone purely because they were born a different gender than the one they are today? That is not right.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course not
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I dont think it's transphobic since when it comes to dating, you can discriminate against people for any reason u please, it could be because of their weight, their medical history, breath and if they're trans.
I don't think the word transphobic should be thrown around lightly like that, cuz if refusing to date a trans person makes u transphobic, I'd bet 99% of straight people are transphobic.
Nobody is entitled to your body. Remember that
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No it's not.
username5632884
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nah
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, just as it isn’t sexist that as a straight guy I refuse to date dudes.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No - I am not attracted to trans people.
Dell PC 2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Starfish_1)
Since you asked, I believe it is transphobic, and wrong. You're not willing to date someone purely because they were born a different gender than the one they are today? That is not right.
So if you didn't date fat people would that also be wrong? How about single mothers? Convicted criminals? Tall people? People with blue eyes? Button noses?
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think so, choosing not to date someone isn't the same as refusing to be friends with, employ or be associated with someone. Lotta reasons go into it and I think saying it's transphobic is a step too far. And I say that as a straight guy who would be open to dating a trans woman.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (75)
11.9%
Virtual campus tours/open days (153)
24.29%
Live streaming events (51)
8.1%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (58)
9.21%
A uni comparison tool (146)
23.17%
An in-person event when available (147)
23.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise