Is it transphobic to say you would not date someone who is transgender?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, I don't think it's transphobic.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, sexual orientation, there is a clue in the name.
Sex =/= gender.

In the past conversion therapists would encourage gay men to sleep with masculine women.

It is not transphobic to not date someone because they are trans. It is, however transphobic to hate someone for being trans.

Pensus aren't vaginas, neo-vaginas aren't vaginas, phalloplastys aren't penises.
Last edited by glassalice; 4 days ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Starfish_1)
Since you asked, I believe it is transphobic, and wrong. You're not willing to date someone purely because they were born a different gender than the one they are today? That is not right.
There's a name for cooersing someone into having a sexual relationship with you. It begins with 'R' and ends in 'E'.

Gender =/= sex.
BrightonDunkley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Not transphobic at all.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yes, because you're refusing to date them because they are trans. Not because they like X activity you don't, or you don't get along, or whatever, but because of the fact they are trans. That is by definition transphobia, because you are prejudiced against them due to them being trans, without having taken the time to figure out if you might like them otherwise or not. You assume that all trans people must be the same in some way and then use that prejudice to rule out potentially dating any trans person.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 days ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes, because you're refusing to date them because they are trans. Not because they like X activity you don't, or you don't get along, or whatever, but because of the fact they are trans. That is by definition transphobia, because you are prejudiced against them due to them being trans, without having taken the time to figure out if you might like them otherwise or not. You assume that all trans people must be the same in some way and then use that prejudice to rule out potentially dating any trans person.
Say for instance you are straight and you want biological children with your partner, would that be a non-transphobic reason to not date trans people?
delta4444
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ed98)
As above.

I recently had a debate with a friend about this. Wdyt? If someone said they wouldn’t ever date someone who was transgender would that make them transphobic?

I personally don’t think that would necessarily make them transphobic but interested to hear other people’s opinions.
It's not transphobic. You can't force a person to date someone they aren't interested in.
the_pharaoh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
omd listen it isnt transphobic u dont wanna date someone who is trans that's fine it's like saying oh i dont want to date someone shorter than me or someone who is white for example
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I foresee a future where people will be forced to sleep with morbidly obese 90 year olds to prove how enlightened they are.
TNOD
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
To suggest it is transphobic is completely ridiculous and nonsensical,
1) When it comes to a relationship people can be as biased as they want including decision to not marry someone based on their religion, culture, lifestyle, political beliefs, etc
2) The overwhelming majority of human beings are heterosexual and would prefer to have a relationship with people of the opposite biological gender
3) You cannot force people to have a relationship with you, otherwise you would be committing a crime.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ed98)
As above.

I recently had a debate with a friend about this. Wdyt? If someone said they wouldn’t ever date someone who was transgender would that make them transphobic?

I personally don’t think that would necessarily make them transphobic but interested to hear other people’s opinions.
I don't care if people call it transphobic .. or if LGBT try to the wider guilt society into doing it.... I am not interested in dating a Trans Person and that's that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (468)
51.49%
No (441)
48.51%

Watched Threads